Could someone please help me with my Windows 98 Internet Problem? ?

JasonC

May 15, 2008
I recently formatted my hard drive because it was running slowly and would freeze all the time. After I formatted the hard drive, my monitor's resolution went to the lowest setting, 640 by 480. I cannot change the resolution setting. The slidebar that makes the resolution go higher is locked and I cannot move it. I read suggestions online to go to download.com and get a better driver. However, because my screen's resolution is so low, I can't install my modem. It continuously says that I need to have a higher resolution of at least 600 by 800 to run the installation disc. Help is greatly appreciated!

Other Information:
The computer is a Dell with Windows 98
The monitor is an Acer
The DSL provider is Verizon and the modem is by Westell.

Did you try reinstalling your video card, this could be the problem.

This might be worth a try START-RUN-type:SCANREG/RESTORE
see if you can restore the registry from there.see if there is a registry restore before the problem started.
If all above fail click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
Double-click the System icon.
Click the Device Manager tab and uninstall the graphics card or graphic adapter or whichever one you have
reboot and windows will find the card and reinstall it, hopefully in full working order.

The ability to change resolution is dependent on the video card driver. If this is not able to be changed, then the correct driver is not installed. You'll need to either:

1) use your Dell Resource CD, and reinstall the driver for your video, or

2) Go to a friends house, go to dell.com and type in your service code to get the drivers for your video card.

The ability to change resolution is dependent on the video card driver. If this is not able to be changed, then the correct driver is not installed. You'll need to either:

1) use your Dell Resource CD, and reinstall the driver for your video, or

2) Go to a friends house, go to dell.com and type in your service code to get the drivers for your video card.

Back