Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

why do some christians go overboard, as in crazy, when it comes to there religion?

i met a girl who invited me to her church a new age evangelical christian type of place. i couldnt help but think to myself "are these people all nutjobs or what?" there was a part when they all started preying in tongues and making there kids do it, thats when it became disturbing to me. as an outsider obviously this appears to be a gathering of mental patients. are there any proclaimed new age christians out there that do this just to fit in? or some one explain to me why you do all the crazy stuff instead of conventional church stuff?

fireball: i accepted the invite and went. and prey was a play on words. im not and atheist, but im also not one of these people. its not just the in church activities that disturb me its the wacky antics of there protesters. dead baby pictures etc.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here a religion, there a religion. Or do you mean "their"? And they were "preying" in tongues? Did they eat anyone?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Im a Christian and I totally see what you are saying about what those people are doing. I have been to churches with family that do that and I just felt weird. Besides its "new age" from research that I have done about new age things, it hasn't been good. This new age religion is trying to get people to thinking that there is no God and that you are your own master...Its basically the devil working in church's. So who really knows what those people in that church were really praying to or even praying?

Downloads
    Uploads
    an invitation makes someone nuts??? sounds normal to me...just say no and dont have a cow if you arent willing to try it.....praying is spelled like that....prey means the rabbit when a wolf attacks

troll alert

Downloads
    Uploads
    I used to be one of those. I spoke in tongues. I sincerely believed in the literal interpretation of the bible.

You might ask yourself why that is "crazy" in your mind when believing in a single, all powerful, all knowing, all loving god who watches everything we do, hears everything we say, cares about every little aspect of our lives, punishes eternally those who make the slightest transgression including those who live good lives but just can't believe he exists, is _not_ "crazy"...

They are just different degrees of the same belief system.

~Atheist, ex-fundie-Xian, former New Ager

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's all a result of the Great Awakening, which welcomed greater shows of emotional enthusiasm. Some Christians believe that it's a virtue to practice their faith with great zeal, and this zeal takes many forms.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I went to one of those charismatic churches once where they walked around with their eyes closed, shaking like they were having convulsions, and "speaking in tongues".
    Anyway, one night I was sitting there watching all of this with fascination when I realized I had to go to the bathroom to take a leak. As I got up to leave the pew, an old woman who was in the throes of the moment and had her bony hands and arms out in front of her poked me in the eye with her boney finger as I tried to maneuver myself past her.
    I left instead and never went back to that church.

Why they feel a need to act like that is one of the great mysteries of certain kinds of churches.

It's a shame when you have to worry about your health insurance premiums just to go to church services.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's all a result of the Great Awakening, which welcomed greater shows of emotional enthusiasm. Some Christians believe that it's a virtue to practice their faith with great zeal, and this zeal takes many forms.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Because some have been scared into the faith and they think if they do all of these works they are a shoe in getting their foot past the pearlie gates.

I think some Christians need a refreshers course in why salvation is important and to stop preaching hell fire and brimstone to people. God is love and does not try to scare people into loving Him back.

As far as tongues is concerned, the bible clearly states when speaking in the spirit is appropriate. When it is not explained it will cause confusion as we can all see it has done with you.

I hope you will find a church where you will see that we aren't all like this. Some do still hold the principles as God being good, He is love and for us to carry ourselves accordingly.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you are uncomfortable doing that (as I would be) then don't go there. There are plenty of more traditional churches to go to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast