Have you ever had to hunt for your food? meaning Killing a poor defenseless animal?

Yes, for 5 days once. I made a fish trap from twigs and dental floss, and I snared a pheasant.

Yes, I've had to hunt, kill, skin, and cook for myself on a couple of survival courses. One of these courses was real tough on some of the group members as we each had to get our own personal food - no sharing, about half our group went without food through choice!

I'm pretty much of a mind that if you aren't prepared to do this you shouldn't eat meat! Oddly many of my friends are vegetarians (I have no problem with this and most of them are excellent and imaginative cooks).

I like hunting.

Most stores don't carry venison, wild boar, quail, etc. which means if I want to eat venison, wild boar, quail, etc. I have to go out and shoot it (and clean it).

Given that: I'm a registered, licensed gun owner and I'm all for gun registration; and I believe that if one is going to hunt one should take ALL precautions to shoot only that which we intend to eat.

I know there are people who think that hunting animals is an awful thing; and yes, it does mean a living thing will die which I'm going to eat -- but the same thing could happen to me with a wild bear or a wildcat, and that's part of nature and that's part of life. One thing dies so another thing can live.

No, I don't think I could ever hunt an animal. But that doesn't mean I don't eat meat. And very few people actually have "had to" hunt an animal in recent times unless they placed themselves in a wilderness situation.

"had" to? No not so much because I couldn't afford shopping at the local market. No.

But do I believe in it or support hunting for human consumption? Yes!
I don't support sport hunting, when it's not used to sustain human life. Animals were put here to be our food! Don't be wasteful and kill for the sake of killing.

Gimme that Dear Balogna Recipe!!! YUMMY!!

Back