Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am 24 and I am wanting to move out. I have my bachelors degree and my

parents don't want me to ever move out? how do you deal with parents who have severe separation anxiety and over protectiveness to the point of smothering?

Downloads
    Uploads
    You have to really think about your motives for moving out. If you don't pay rent and don't have any real responsibilities at home I say stay. Moving out and having strippers over are all just social things. As long as your parents treat you as an adult (ie you can have people over the night without getting grilled)I think you should stay.

Use your money and go on vacation see the world one weekend at a time. While everyone else that lives on their own is complaining about bills you can go off and really enjoy your youth. Or you can save your money and buy a house, create something real, rather than creating a huge expense like rent and lights, phone, internet, trash, and the biggest expense ROOMATES. Remember "the evil you know is better than the the evil you don't know." Good Luck

Downloads
    Uploads
    ok my mom
    kinda has the same thing
    even when im 18
    just tell them you want to move om with your life and taht you want to be independent
    and that if you want to get married you cant be living in the same house as your parents

Junior Member rockemsockemrockandroll's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would start ordering strippers to come to your house. After a stunt like that they will want you to move out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My parents were the same way when I moved to college. My school required freshmen to live on campus, and since I am on scholarship, it paid for it. I jumped at the chance, even though my parents lived close enough to get a waiver for me. I think that how I best dealt with my mom was that I told her she would still get to talk to me every day, and get to see me every weekend, and then I kept the promise. Aside from finals, my mom got to see me every weekend, and I talked to her every day, with only a few exceptions. (Maybe like, one day a month I didn't call or she didn't call me.)

The trick is to prove to them you are a responsible adult, while showing them you are a loving child (they still see you as a child, they always will, no matter how old you are).

[I have lived out of my parents' house for almost four years, and my dad still tells me that my mom cries every day because all of her kids moved out. (We are all legal adults.) She calls me every day if I don't call her first. Some parents just cannot deal with it. However, it is a part of life, and you must spread your wings eventually. Your parents will get past it, and they will respect you more as an adult in the long run. Even if they do still see you as a child.]

Junior Member mommytomyangeljulia's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Tell them you plan on moving out whether you have their say or not, but would rather do it with them by your side helping you every step of the way.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Tell your parents its time for a change and you should be able to do whatever you want to do

Downloads
    Uploads
    Make sure your job is stable enough and you can afford rent and bills. find a place to live and tell them about it afterwords. They will get over it eventually but be mad in the beginning.