Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Staged Hunting For Dogs?

My county has decided to put in a 'hunting simulator' for dogs with a high-prey drive.

The idea of it is is that they humanely catch rabbits, birds, and other small game in overpopulated areas and you pay to have your dog chase/catch them.

The prices vary depending on what animal you've chosen for the 'hunt' (rabbits are like $30, quail are $40, squirrel is $20, etc). The animal you choose is released into a one acre lightly wooded (and properly enclosed) area and you and your dog have as long as you want to 'hunt' the little critter.

If your dog catches it you can take the animal home for eating or give it to the 'arena' to be used for their raw food line.

I personally think its a really neat idea. They're building like ten different sections (two of which are for water fowl and fish), and I'll probably be visiting it when it gets finished.

Would you ever partake in something like this if your dog has a high prey drive?

Downloads
    Uploads
    It is an interesting idea, but I wouldn't do this with my dogs. I have three dogs that hunt, and they were trained NOT to chase small animals and birds-their job is to find them, wait, and then retrieve them on command. I find it dangerous to allow dogs to chase small animals at will, but that's from personal experience. When I first brought my Setter home, he would take off after deer, rabbits, squirrels, and anything else that would run in front of him-and that put him in danger of getting hurt or hit by a car. The dogs would definitely enjoy it, but I wouldn't feel safe allowing it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think they're debating putting in a really neat, new dog park in my town, so I'm excited for that. There's also dog days at the local pool- just for the dogs so I don't think they would add something like that- but it does sound fun.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes i would, although i think it is cheeky that you have to pay, after all your dog will be providing a service by helping to cut down the OVER populated animals, so you are doing the council a favour.

Good idea though.