This is my second Mirena IUD. The first was professionally removed so my husband and I could have another baby and that one gave me no troubles. This second one though was strange. Typically, there are no periods with the IUD inserted, but suddenly two weeks ago I started having a really heavy period so I went to my ob/gyn to have it checked. Everything was in its place and I left feeling confident that this was a fluke period. The period finally started subsiding a couple days ago and then suddenly it was back today with a lot of painful cramping. Finally, I felt this weird sensation almost like labor pains and rushed to the toilet where I passed a huge blood clot. It totally felt like afterbirth so I was freaking out that I'd had a miscarriage or something. I looked in the toilet bowl and saw a little white thing sticking out of the blood clot so I grabbed it out to find that it was the IUD. The painful labor-like cramping is now gone, but my belly still aches and the bleeding is super heavy. I remember the bleeding before (when my first was removed) to be super heavy too so it's probably normal, but what the heck? Aren't I supposed to get at least 4 years out of this thing? Even though I'm only 28 and my husband 33, he and I are done having kids so I guess this is a hint for us to get ready for his vasectomy.