What do you think will be the classics of the future?

aly

May 14, 2008
In a hundred years, what are some novels (recent or not) that you think will still be talked about?

If anyone mentions Twilight, you will receive a severe head-shaking from me. Please, out of common courtesy, restrict Twilight answers to Twilight questions.

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress (Robert Heinlein)

Brave New World (Aldous Huxley)

Lord of the Flies (Golding)

Rendezvous with Rama

2001 A Space Odyssey (Arthur C Clarke)

The Glass Bead Game (Hermann Hesse)

Amadeus

Don Quixote (Cervantes)

Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass (Rev. Dodgson)

The Wizard of Oz (Baum)

The Lord of the Rings (Tolkien)

The Iliad (Homer)

The Odyssey (Homer)

Star Wars (Speilberg)

Farmer in the Sky (Heinlein)

The Hunt for Red October

Smiley's People (LeCarre)

20,000 Leagues Benieth the Sea (Jules Verne)

The Deep Range (Arthur C. Clarke)

Lawrence of Arabia

Dune and Dune Messiah (Frank Herbert)

The Right Stuff

The Jewel in the Crown (Scott)

Titanic

The Andromeda Strain (Crichton)

Jurassic Park (Crichton)

The Winds of War (Wouk)

Hawaii (Mitchener)

Shogun

Harry Potter. Golden Compass. Narnia. Kite Runner. Last Lecture.

Edit: Excuse me, Mila, but Harry Potter is much more than just a popular children's series. Its popularity does have something to do with it, but it has more depth in its plot, themes, and characters than I think you can even comprehend.

Of course Harry Potter.Some others like the Tears Of A Tiger Series,The Clique Series (maybe)
That's all I can think of...sorry!

Some books will always be classics like 'Catcher in the Rye'. Classics from today could include the Harry Potter series, the Inkworld series, Kite Runner...

wtf? Harry Potter????? Does the consumer approval rating dictate whether a book is a classic, or destined to become so?? If this is all the requirement that is needed in order for a book to become a "Classic", then we had better make room for Stephen King, Dr. Suess, Dean Koontz (iiieeeeee!!!!) etc.!!!.....

i think that anything by Paulo Coelho is worth a mention, particularly The Alchemist

wtf? Harry Potter????? Does the consumer approval rating dictate whether a book is a classic, or destined to become so?? If this is all the requirement that is needed in order for a book to become a "Classic", then we had better make room for Stephen King, Dr. Suess, Dean Koontz (iiieeeeee!!!!) etc.!!!.....

i think that anything by Paulo Coelho is worth a mention, particularly The Alchemist

You didn't want twilight so here it is.

New Moon
Eclipse
and
Breaking Dawn

The next books!

Bye the way I'm not one of those addicted people I only just started New Moon (the second one).

I think "1000 Acres" by Jane Smiley will endure, as will "The English Patient" by Michael Ondatjee, "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein, "The Life Of Pi" by Yann Martel and "Bel Canto" by Ann Patchett. All of those books are much lauded and awarded and should easily stand the test of time.

There are of course dozens of others, not a single "Twilight" among them of course. "Harry Potter" will live on as a classic, to be sure.

Back