2001 Ford Expedition Won't Accelerate on Inclines!?

LisaB1

May 20, 2008
My 2001 Ford Expedition 4x4 has a very difficult time accelerating on inclines. If I am driving on flat roads, 70 miles an hour.. it's perfect. But if I want to push on the gas to pass someone - it takes about 60 seconds to gain 5 extra mph - and it is stuck in a high rpm (usually around 3-4k rpm's). If I come up to a hill... forget about it. With my gas pedal pressed to the floor, I am rapidly LOSING speed during the incline. I have to let go of the pedal to release the high rpm's, then press again to keep the truck moving - and I never once actually gain speed. I lose speed the entire way. My check engine light has yet to come on.

In the past, I have had 4 coils in different cylanders go out. Those were replaced along with all 8 spark plugs. When the coils in the cylanders go out, the truck makes a fluttering sound. There is no fluttering sound present, so I'm certain it has nothing to do with the coils again. Any ideas as to what will cause my truck to not gain speed and not climb hills even when the pedal is fully pressed? I've even tried climbing hills or passing people by very slowly pressing the pedal... that does absolutely nothing either.

Do you have a trailer or load in the back?

Maybe you need a new timing belt, does it seem to have less power overall?

Or bad plug wires? Have you ever cleared out the air filter? There can be a lot of causes.

Back