Help, hooking up my wii to the internet!?

~AmbieKay~

Dec 25, 2008
So, I am trying to hook up my wii to the internet i've gone through all the steps, like you start at the wii menu click the button on the bottom left, then click wii settings, blahh blahh blahh, until you get to the part where you search for a wireless access point. It searches and then it says "Choose the access point you want to connect to." I say "OK" But then it goes to this screen and it has a rectangular box that has "2WIRE858" and a little lock-pad sign, and a graph thingy. I press that.
Its says
WEP This access point is secure.
Input the password or key:

But, i don't know the password.
I'm totally brain dead when it comes to stuff like this.
I'm not good with computer stuff.
So, if someone could please explain what i am doing wrong in simple terms.
access
No, i don't pay for it my parents do.
But, they are both at work, and i'm not sure they no much about it.
They don't really use the wii at all.

You have to get into the controls (usually software controls) for the wireless access point. This wireless access point had, among other settings, a Service Set Identifier (an "SSID"), and a passphrase.

In setting up the WEP security mode, whoever set up the wireless access point entered a passphrase. The wireless access point took this passphrase and used it to generate four "keys." The first one is usually what you have to give to let your Wii talk to your wireless network. So you have to go to a screen on which the wireless access point had its settings set up, and read off the first key. If someone else in your family/household/business/coven set this up, he/she/it is the person to talk to. They don't need to know anything about the Wii; all they need do is provide you with the the SSID and the first key. The key will probably be a ten-digit hexadecimal number. ("Hexadecimal" means that digits in this kind of number can be any of 16 values: 0,1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, A, B, C, D, E, or F.)

In some cases, you won't need the SSID. The SSID is the "name" of the wireless access point, so that you use your wireless access point and not your neighbor's.

Well, do you pay for this internet service? Or is it your parents? If it is your parents, then ask them...
If it is you... then call your internet provider.. they will tell you.

You have to get into the controls (usually software controls) for the wireless access point. This wireless access point had, among other settings, a Service Set Identifier (an "SSID"), and a passphrase.

In setting up the WEP security mode, whoever set up the wireless access point entered a passphrase. The wireless access point took this passphrase and used it to generate four "keys." The first one is usually what you have to give to let your Wii talk to your wireless network. So you have to go to a screen on which the wireless access point had its settings set up, and read off the first key. If someone else in your family/household/business/coven set this up, he/she/it is the person to talk to. They don't need to know anything about the Wii; all they need do is provide you with the the SSID and the first key. The key will probably be a ten-digit hexadecimal number. ("Hexadecimal" means that digits in this kind of number can be any of 16 values: 0,1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, A, B, C, D, E, or F.)

In some cases, you won't need the SSID. The SSID is the "name" of the wireless access point, so that you use your wireless access point and not your neighbor's.

Back