What would the world be like if there was NO religions?

shrushgb

Dec 24, 2008
It's Christmas time, which of course is a Religious Festival and has numerous side-lines - Music, Traditions and lot's more.
What if there was no religion(s)? What would the world be like? Would there be any wars? Would there be Carols? Hymns? Handels Messiah and the like? Intrigueing.....

Well it'd have good sides and bad sides. First and foremost, there would be less bigotry, since a large slice of bigotry comes from religion (i.e. fundies against homosexuality). Also more money would either be spent on more effective buildings, taxes, etc. or just spent for whatever else the money that would've built a church/mosque/synagogue/temple/etc. would've used. There'd also be less war since most of war is/has been based on religion.

But at the same time it may bring a lot of fear. For some of us we do not need a person always with us either physically or mentally, but some do.

There would be more unity, as no body could say there truth was absolute.

There would be one less reason to use when someone decides to kill others.

No different than it is now.. people would have found different reasons to celebrate :)

We are not christians but we still celebrate Christmas now that are in USA.. there is not religious reason! Our kids like decorating the tree... we like watching Christmas movie marathons, eat our favorite food and of course everyone likes giving and getting gifts :D

For us enjoying holidays together and having fun with family is the meaning of Christmas or for that matter any other festival :)

When are back home in India we celebrate tens of other Hindu festivals .. though the history of those is much different any festival is now celebrated in more or less the same way.. eat ,drink, music , dance, have friends/family get togethers.. enjoy the holidays.. shop for gifts and so on!

If there was no religion, there will still be a lot other reasons... peoples birthdays, anniversaries... national independence days.. start of spring day... people will find some reason or the other to enjoy themselves! :D

The christmas we celebrate is mainly a product of a very old pagan festival, so I suppose we wouldn't have it.

I think that when Atheism spreads, we will have to find new excuses to celebrate. Though christmas will no doubt endure

I'm an atheist who happens to believe that religion has contributed a great deal to the evolution of society. There have always been wars and they are fought over resources, generally. Religion is how you rally the folks

the same exact way it is now. there people who hate greedy, selfish, hateful and vengeful without any religion involved. there would still be wars and there would still be hate.

I think that there would be just as many wars...but the reasons behind why the wars were started would be more honest. Also, I think that there would still be celebrations and music, but they would be celebrating nature, new discoveries and inventions, and high points in people's lives.

And we would have populated mars by now.

A lot better. There would be no fighting over whos variation of the same thing is right. People have even died over their religions and wars have been started for that very reason. I think everyone should just be good people and accept and respect everyone and there would be no issue.

Back