Why won't my truck power brake?

Devin

May 20, 2008
I have a 1993 Chevy C2500 350 5.7 liter and it has the stock 16.5 tires on it and it won't power brake no matter how much you give it gas now if you put it in reverse and try it will burn the tires down I know the truck has the power because if you just step on it from a dead stop it'll burn the tires down but just won't power brake going forwards also i don't know if it's related but when you set the parking brake all the way down it won't go no where no matter how much you give it gas going forward but again if you put it in reverse its like there is hardly no resistance. Any Ideas?
Actually I have a 4.10 gear ratio

hopwood, your wrong, i have a 98 chevy K1500 silverado with a 5.7 litre 350 to and it has plenty of power, i've done it in my truck plenty of times back when i used to do stupid stuff lol, i understand mines 5 years newer it hasn't lost as much power as a 93 but not enough to where you can power brake especially if you can do what you say it can do, and also its not the gear ratio cause im pretty sure 3.73 like mine is so thats not it either, but its got to be something in your transmission but i wouldn't recommend you power braking though, makes your rear brakes wear out faster and im pretty sure it can mess up your transmission

gear ratio and not enough power, it doesn't have enough power to spin while the brakes are on. You need a line lock to do it correctly. You are going to tear something up!

Sounds like the transmission is not selecting 1'st or (low gear) on take off, this can be rectified by having the bands adjusted. Any competent motor mechanic should be able to do that for you.
The parking brake is not vacuum assisted and it never works as well as the foot brake when the engine is running, especially when reversing this is typical of all rear drum brake vehicles. I have found that my vehicle will reverse with it's parking brake is on as well, I live in Australia and drive an Australian built 1974 Ford GT Falcon.

Back