Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Change of MY behavior affects Fish Behavior? ?

Okay. At first I put MO (my male betta) all my himself. He started making bubble nestss monthly but just stopped making them. He isn't aggressive anymore... So I put him in with my two guppies (Anna and Christian) and they BEFRIENDED! They would just swim around each otherr- no flaring at all, or aggressivenesss. Its been about a MONTH. but yesterday I woke up and something was definitely wrong. Mo had attacked Christian which is totally not like him- and Anna is GONE. i emptied out the tank and shes NO WHERE in sight. . Im wondering if maybe how i changed the water and "socialized" with the fish more- affects how a betta acts? When i left him alone he was just- boring but now he swims around, and is Happy i guess. But what was the sudden outburst from? Was it from my more Active appearancee to them? I fed them more often. When i first put Mo with the guppies he would not eat... but now he chomps away like a dog. I have come to the conclusion. Mo ATE anna. Is there a affect to socialization to fish?
    So here are the changes I made (to the betta):
    1.I put him in with guppies
    2.I socialized more (watched them)
    3.Fed more often
    4.Kept light on in the day and night

AT FIRST HIS BEHAVIOR: was dull- he wouldnt , he just lay in a corner. No flaring at guppies, ignored them. Stopped making nests.

AFTER A MONTH: He ate alot, swam more frequently.
    So why the sudden change?
    See- Once i did have a female Betta nad I put them together- he was ready to breed and everything, Bubble nest was ready. But he attacked her... and she died... He isnt really a aggressive fish- Im starting to think he has Pms problems...haha. Or maybe a bipolar fish.

Junior Member horseriderandlover's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i don't know. i know ALOT about animals but i don't know that question. but yah if u have any questions about animals e-mail ME!!!!!!! and mabey u should look it up.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well no matter what you do and honestly what you did was wrong and just a matter of time that,Betta of yours,Mo did his thing.It's all about defending his home.Betta's are born fighting fish and I am sad to hear what happened to your,Guppies. But,if you want your Betta to have a tank mate then either get him a female and watch for the eggs and remove them both OR get a lil bigger fish with the same temperment as a Betta semi-aggressive and you should be ok.If anything your Betta Mo will get a reality check of who's boss and can't be bullied around by him.

The Betta or Siamese Fighting Fish are carnivores, and will generally eat all kinds of live, fresh, and dry protein foods. To keep a good balance give them a high quality protein pellet or flake food everyday. Also feed brine shrimp (either live or frozen) or blood worms.

Generally they are considered a good community fish, however the Betta or Siamese Fighting Fish can get picked on. Other tanks mates will sometimes keep nudging it as if though to get it moving,and sometimes the fins become an easy target for an occasional nip. It has been noted that occasionally a Betta will attack other tank mates. This generally seems to be a case of misidentification, usually it's a brightly colored platy or molly.
    Only one male can be kept in a tank as two males together will fight to the death. Females can be kept with each other and usually a male can be kept with females if the tank is quite large and there are plenty of hiding places.