My friends iPod (not sure if this is important, but it was the 80GB version) was recently restored (everything from the hard drive was removed) and when he reconnected it, iTunes did not recognize it, but Windows did (shows up in my computer folder). Then, we followed the instructions here: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1363 "restart iPod service". We got to step 10 (open iTunes), and immediately after iTunes opened, the computer instantly shut down (no warning).

When it restarted, we removed the iPod, and then opened iTunes. The computer instantly shut down again. Now, this happens every time iTunes opens. Additionally, his computer now gets random messages that appear every so often saying that "Windows has recovered from a serious error. Would you like to send an error report?". The first 2-3 times we received these messages we clicked on "do not send" and another one appeared, we clicked don't send, another appeared, we clicked don't send, then the computer instantly shut down. Now this doesn't seem to happen (at least not immediately after it starts up). To fix the computers iTunes problems, we have tried removing iTunes (and every file related to it) and then reinstalling it.

After this, we tried connecting the iPod to my computer. Itunes opened properly, but when the iPod was connected, the computer instantly shut down. My computer has thankfully not suffered from the same problems his has, I can still open iTunes and received no error messages. Has anyone experienced any of these problems and perhaps have any suggestions for how to fix them?