Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Do you think that one day this MMA crap will take the place of boxing?

It seems thats what people go for nowadays and thats what all of the fighters want to go into. If you ask me it takes more work to become a boxer. All of todays great fighters are getting old and theres no one to fill the gap after the great boxers leave. Also it seems that all of the sports marketeers want to give the publicity to the MMA stuff. I like some UFC but i believe one day its gonna get old and there won't be any real fighters left to box.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good question.

I don't think it will ever take the place of boxing since they are both different sports with completely different histories and futures.

That being said, I agree with the previous poster about MMA popularity. I think its increase in popularity is inevitable.Its popularity here in the USA is linked to young white middle class males. I do not think that this will be a generational sport where this generation will pass down its popularity to the younger generation in order to begin tradition like we see in American Football.

Rather, I see it continuing to gain popularity through the loss of older fans but the gain of the youth.

Being mainstream? I don't think so. I see it relegated to a PPV money making machine with its main audience in the middle class youth.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I certainly hope not.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Unfortunately this prima donna street fight is going to take the place of it. You can blame the lack of American boxing talent in the past ten years, that and the fact that local fighting circuits will let anyone fight. I think MMA has kind of peaked, but that it won't fall from here, because at least they are drawing fans from the WWE not boxing fans. Because its wrestling fans tuning in to see people roll around on the ground, not boxing fans who actually want to see a fight that has actual strategy through rounds. You gotta give it to MMA that you can see your favorite fighter go four to eight times a year, where as in the top ranks of boxing four matches a year is unheard of now, which is because the demand a boxing match takes compared to MMA. It also easier for fan bases to take sides, striking vs. wrestling, in boxing its in vs ut fighters and speed guys versus power, etc. MMA will not replace boxing because the target audience is not the same. Even betting on matches is a fools errand because it can end with any lucky shot. Only Hasim Rahman has had that one punch luck in the past eight or so years.

Downloads
    Uploads
    MMA has already taken the place of boxing. MMA is way more diverse then boxing and is attracting more young viewers then boxing can. Boxing is too one dimensional its not as exciting as MMA.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Im a huge boxing fan and a martial arts fan and i have to say that your comment calling MMA crap is CRAP!!!

You obviously know nothing of the work and commitment that it takes to became a fighter at not one but three different ranges.

A boxer learns his basic foot work (stand on the corners of a box) and learns his jab and right hand and everyone is scared of the southpaw because he is different. Does that not say it all!! anything different is considered taboo.

An MMA fighter on the other hand fights at 3 different ranges.. stand up ie boxing and kicking the clinch, or stand up wrestling, and the ground. they also train and fight for 5 minute rounds.... 5 minutes of some guy at 15stone beating down on you is not for the faint hearted.

A boxer does not have to worry about some guy rushing him and taking him down or worry about the excruciating pain of getting kicked in the thigh or worry about the point of an elbow in the face.

Boxing has become obselete and it has no one to blame but itself.
    Any of the top fights today are all pay per view and lets be honest who really watched any of the undercard to Hatton vs Mayweather but yet to watch this it cost £14.99, the UFC on the other hand has an action packed card from the outset.

The fight world has changed and boxing is stuck in the mud an cannot keep up.

So please do not diss a discipline or form of fighting when you do not know what you are talking about

Downloads
    Uploads
    They are two different sports and personally I do both, and it is rare for kids to start MMA like they do boxing. Parents don't let their kids start it at a young age so it probably will get to be right behind it just because you wont start out on MMA

Downloads
    Uploads
    no. never.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Boxing is never going to be what it once was. I've come to grips with that. Back around WWII era, even post WWII era, in the USA, you have basically three sports (in terms of popularity): Baseball, Boxing, and Horse Racing. Unfortunately Boxing is really relegated so horse racing's "main event" only status to mainstream America.

With that said, I think the UFC will also never become mainstream. It's found it's niche and it has a large fan base. Larger than boxing at the moment. UFC will never go mainstream, as to the casual fan, it will always be boring. A fan realizes the skills that MMA fighters have, and appreciate the subtle nuances of the sport (as do boxing fans of their sport), however, that just is boring to Joe Remote Control casual fan.

With all that said, neither will ever be mainstream (boxing once being), however, both sports have a certain beauty to each. Cheers.

Junior Member datdontmakeknowsense's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Boxing is the greatest. MMA will phase out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast