He doesnt have a lot of extra money, so I thought I was being helpful and nice in buying my stepdaughter some gifts to take his load off. This was completely unappreciated, he stated that I spent more on my own daughter (meanwhile, he had not even bought his daughter one gift yet and bought my daughter nothing either). All I heard was that I spent more on "my" daughter rather than on "his" daughter.

Opinions please?
I must note that I also took care of her over vacations because he had to work and couldnt take him off (she is a very energetic non-independent child, which he likes... she is totally dependent on him at age 6, meanwhile my daughter is very very independent and even makes her own dinners etc) but i didnt even get a thank you, I got a "well that's what spouses are SUPPOSED to do without question"

may I add that he has been married twice already??
I also used to save my daughter's (who is older) nice clothes that dont fit her anymore and he complained saying all she gets are crappy hand me downs... (they are really nice clothes), so I took all the ones that dont fit my daughter and brought them to Goodwill.