Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Do you think Richard Collier should have been named a Jaguars captain?

This question is not meant to be cruel or insensitive but I do not understand why he was name a Jacksonville captain. He has no career stats and was shot to the best of my knowledge in another "nightclub" incident. I guess it was something that was done out of kindness by the Jaguars ownership but I personally feel that he is being rewarded for poor "off the field" choices. I know I will get slammed by some for being cruel and heartless but I am not. I just feel that a sports team should have a person named "captain" for team related performance. Go ahead, let me have it.

I would like to say that I am glad that he survived and considering that he was shot like 14 times, it is quite a miracle.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Being a Jaguar fan, I agree with you to some extent. I think the reason they rewarded him as captain was because of his survival through the nearly impossible. Being shot 14 times and surviving is a miracle. Now Collier might have been backup his whole career, but he did participate in charity work outside of the field.

To correct you, From my knowledge, and keeping up to date with the Jaguars and what happened, Collier was not shot at a night club, and he had never been an off the field problem. It was after practice. They had the next day off. He was shot in the parking lot of an apartment complex picking up two girls. In the car with him was teammate at the time Kenny Pettaway. Both were picking up two girls. I believe the shooter had been identified as one of the girls ex boyfriends.

All in All, Collier surived one hell of a shooting, but also never was well known enough or good enough whille palying to be a starter or captain. So I agree and Disagree. Which ever way you look at it, its either right or wrong thing to do. I stand in the middle...

Oh.... and the Jags suck this year! What the heck happened? lol. Hope they pick things up next year... Jones Drew is a Monster!!!!

Hope this helped bro.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree with you 100%. My sympathy is pretty low to non-existent when they put themselves in situations that can lead to something like this. Associating themselves with bad people and such that is.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Often the best players end up being locker room voices, and are defacto role models for younger players, so they become captains, but good player and captain are not interchangeable. I mean, would you EVER name TO a captain? Or Ocho Cinco? They have great stats every year, but they obviously are not captain material.

A captain can be someone who just inspires, motivates, or brings a team together, and I think a player recovering from what he did could do that.

By the way, it is questionable still whether Colliers shooting had anything at all to do with a "night club". He was shot while waiting to pick someone up in front of a private residence. It is possible that Collier did nothing wrong and was a random victim of violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Often the best players end up being locker room voices, and are defacto role models for younger players, so they become captains, but good player and captain are not interchangeable. I mean, would you EVER name TO a captain? Or Ocho Cinco? They have great stats every year, but they obviously are not captain material.

A captain can be someone who just inspires, motivates, or brings a team together, and I think a player recovering from what he did could do that.

By the way, it is questionable still whether Colliers shooting had anything at all to do with a "night club". He was shot while waiting to pick someone up in front of a private residence. It is possible that Collier did nothing wrong and was a random victim of violence.