We have a desktop with a DSL connection. How do I access the internet wirelessly...

Speedmonster

Dec 19, 2008
...with the Macbook? The DSL connection that the desktop is hooked up to just doesn't allow the Macbook to access the internet. Someone told me to get a router. But this is all new to me and I don't know if there is a specific brand of router I should get and how to hook the Macbook and desktop to this router. Any help is appreciated. Just want to get the Macbook able to access the internet. Thanks

Go buy yourself an N type router from any of the big boys. Linksys Dlink Netgear Cisco. Make sure it has a few wired ports availble, string it up link this:

Wall > Modem > Router > wired to desktop wireless to Mac.
You configure the wireless interface using a web browser. The manuals that come with these things are written so that you can understand them. Don't freak out at all the initials and numbers that get flung around. Ip addresses and WEP keys look baffling, but they are just numbers that get entered in to slots. You don;t need to know how it works or why, you just need to type stuff in places to get it all working.

Back