What are the main reasons people stopped buying American-made cars?

jh

May 23, 2008
the 50.000 and 60.000 dollar price tags.

The British tv show Topgear even ask why would you wanna pay that much for a Ford F-150 and not even have the dashboard match up.

I'll tell you why. I owned one American car in 34 years of car ownership. I paid for it twice: once when I bought it, and again several hundred dollars at a time, as various things failed one by one (sometimes more than once for the same thing). I have owned Japanese and German cars that ran with nearly zero problems until I sold them or wrecked them. They rarely failed. Why would I want to pay twice for an American car when I can pay once for a much better one made by somebody else? When Detroit gives me a bumper to bumper 10 year/100,000 mile warranty and I'll buy one of their cars. But until Detroit shoulders the risk of owning their garbage, I won't take the risk of buying it

my american car was built in korea - about the only thing made in america is gas guzzlers. i looked for good milage - bought a ford - not even made here.

want a bit of an off the wall stretch of a theory? here you go!

It's all about sex. You see, there has been a shift over the past several years.... I can't remember where I saw the study... but a powerful or expensive car is no longer the number 1 type of car to impress the ladies. The study showed that the latest green model was more impressive... and you just don't find a lot of those in US auto makers. So.. the market died because guys want to get laid.. and think they need an impressive car for the ladies to do so!

Nah, just playing.. though the survey is true. But fact is.. you can buy an American car that gets 20 mpg and falls apart at 100k miles... or you can get a foreign car that gets 30 mpg and lasts 200k+

What would you buy?

i do not think the America car sellers have much less sales then the foreign companies its that they lose money every time they sell a car due to wages and a bad business model (i heard one time it was like 1,094$ loss for some the car lines GMC was selling)

what idiot would sell something that loses money lol

Because American-made cars suck!

Compared to foreign-made cars, American-made cars are too expensive, they get crappy gas mileage, they are poorly made, they don't have good warranties, they cost too much to maintain, they're ugly, and they don't have good visibility, they have poor safety ratings, they don't retain resale value, and they fall apart after about 3 years.

A car is a major expense, and people want to see some value for what they pay for. They DO NOT want a car that they will not enjoy driving, and they definitely do not want a car that will cost them additional money just to keep on the road. And lack of fuel efficiency in this day and age is completely inexcusable.

Additionally, while the American auto makers have all been in trouble on and off for the past 30 years, NONE of the foreign auto makers have been having these problems. There are two reasons for this: 1) foreign auto management knows how to run a business and 2) they know how to treat their employees. The American public has absolutely zero respect for the American auto industry because we are sick and tired of watching them in the news all the time complaining - either their management is always complaining about being in trouble due to their bad business decisions or their unions are complaining because they want more money.

So help me, if the government spends one single cent to bail these jackasses out, I will NEVER AGAIN purchase another American car. They don't deserve my business.

They make there cars better built to last longer and take more things if your really rough on your car.

Back