Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why are UAW workers earning 74 per hour and Honda making 44?

Is the UAW good or bad for the Big 3?

I think they are to blame for the failed talks.
    sources - CNN, NBC, ABC, FOX, CNBC. It is all over the news. It was not 22 cents, it was far more than that..were are your sources?

UT - Here is the deal. The worker will be out of job becasue the UAW has driven the Big 3 into the ground. ALL the southern car factories are doing just fine. The UAW has taken advantage of the workers not the Big 3. Let them file Chapter 11. Maybe they will make a better product that will last more than 75K miles.

Downloads
    Uploads
    good question, the unemployed UAW workers will be asking themselves "what went wrong?" while they mop the floors at Wendys......

Downloads
    Uploads
    I got over 300,000 miles on a 91 Acura without any engine or trans problems. 1 clutch and several sets of brakes. I trust Honda products more than any of the big 3 stuff.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Griggnax, It doesn't matter what the individual worker makes at GM. The per worker reflects the total labor cost. That cost is killing GM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Who signed the UAW's contracts.

Why do car companies have to pay for health insurance???

Why do people want to break up the unions???

I will always stand on the workers side.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You are lying. UAW workers earn, on average, $31 an hour. It makes no sense to include "total compensation" for UAW workers, including things that benefit third parties such as job banking. And it likewise makes no sense to NOT include those costs for workers at Toyota plants.

Foreign car companies intentionally set their wages and compensation packages at about the same as what UAW workers get, and they do this to prevent the workers from organizing. So even when a union doesn't organize a car plant, the UAW still benefits American workers at foreign transplants.

Why do you want to kill American jobs? Why are you against American workers earning a decent wage? Why are you pretending that labor, which amounts to a grand total of 10% of GM's costs, is the problem here? Why won't you acknowledge that it's lousy product designs, made by MBAs and accountants instead of engineers and car lovers, that made this mess?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sources please? I believe the differences in wages that the UAW blew the deal over came to 22 cents per hour. BTW, simply posting a network is not the same as posting a source...and yes, the number in question was .22. There are no Big 3 people making $74 on the shop floor...and there are scant few making $44 at Honda. When you post an actual article verifying your claim, I will be more than happy to post my sources. I didn't make the claim, you did. But, I would be more than happy to give you about 20 sources for my post, when you give me two or three that support your claim.

Anyway, I sold my American car...a Toyota Avalon. I no longer have an "American" car...I drive a 1983 Porsche 911SC and a 2000 Grand Marquis (manufactured in Windsor, Ontario).

EDIT: Do any of you thumbs downers want to cite sources? Of course you don't. Anyway, how dare me ask you folks to back up your claims. LOL Hey, give me 50 thumbs down...I have a strong internal locus of control, so they don't phase me in the least.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So UAW workers can pay mooo union dues.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Simple, because UAW workers do NOT earn $74/hour.

That's a FoxNews lie. They took the total costs the automakers are paying to their retirees for pensions and health care (the "legacy" costs), and divided it by the number of current workers.

It's a distortion of the facts and completely false.

Downloads
    Uploads
    here are some facts -- and posted by NPR a liberal news outlet. No oppressive republican rich greedy machine spin here. That's sarcasm if you couldn't tell.

My grandpa said "Figures never lie, but liars always figure"

What do you think?
    Pay close attention to
    Health car costs
    avg costs
    profit per car
    total profit
    It's no mystery they dropped the ball.

UAW pushed and pushed and pushed -- they have only to go look in the closest mirror to determine who's to blame.
    http://www.npr.org/news/specials/gmvstoyota/

UPDATE:
    Before discounting the figures, look at the link above -- it clearly states the average cost per worker is $73.73.

Or you can continue to claim you know what you're talking about. It's been confirmed by multiple news sources (including fox news to your great dismay) -- it was printed in today's papers as well.

Smoke and mirrors -- numbers don't lie!!

UPDATE 2:
    Cool - the unemployed workers will still be getting paid if they're still honoring UAW contracts -- yup...those who aren't working are still getting paid.

They should get on w/ Chapter 11

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast