Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Please help! I am worried about my 1988 Lincoln Town Car I am changing the oil?

I have two drain plugs you can unscrew and now one of them won't screw back on! No matter which direction I turn it, it just keeps going! The drain plug just won't stop turning in both directions! If you try to pull it out it won't budge though it won't come out. Is this normal? The other one seems to work fine though. If this isn't normal what should I do?

Downloads
    Uploads
    happened to me before. i put a screw driver under it to pry gently on it while turning it out, and for a cheap fast fix i bought an expansion plug from a hardware store. the plug is rubber with a bolt running threw it that when tighten it it expands to stop any leaks. take bolt with you so you get the right size.i did this two years ago and its still holding

Downloads
    Uploads
    You have stripped the threads out. Take a screwdriver (flathead) and put it between the oil pan and the bolt and pry down lightly on it. Then take the wrench you were using to try to remove it and work it out of the pan. Once you get it out, take it to the parts store and buy an oversize self tapping replacement oil plug and put it in. It doesn't need to be super tight. Just good and snug. the same for the other plug.

Downloads
    Uploads
    its stripped, basically its chewed all the threads up on either the plug or the sump. my guess is the sump as its usually softer.

to get it out you may be able to use mole grips and wangle it from side o side or you may have to take the sump of and knock it out from inside, once its out you can use a tap and cut the threads a size bigger and put a bigger plug in

Downloads
    Uploads
    well its what we call striped and not much you can do about it othe rthan replace it but first try and pry on it while turning and hope it comes out so you can buy a new one