Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

How much should I plan on spending on a bike?

The other day I received excellent answers regarding purchasing a bike for my husband. However, I neglected to ask how much I should plan on spending? He needs it for recreational and some off road use. Nothing major. He's a runner, just something for him to do on his day off. Some areas we bike are incredibly hilly, so I think I need something with a lot of gears? (Sorry, I'm clueless!) I'm hoping something can be purchased for the 0-300 price range. Is this possible?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just purchased a bike this summer that would fit the description of your needs. It is a crossover utility bike with suspension on the front and the back, a good sized seat for comfortable long distance riding, but mid range sized overall for speed and power riding as well. It fits well for my needs and can be used off road as well as on. It is fast and very light considering it is not a road bike. You are going to have to look more in the range of $600 to $700 minimum for a bike that is going to suit his needs. I'm sorry to have to tell you that the price range you suggested would be a "Wal-Mart" special and likely wouldn't last or be a very good ride.
    Try something from this company (Rocky Mountain Bikes). It's a Canadian company, all parts are made here and they are hand assembled here as well. They have a wide selection of different styles and accessories, warranty their product for 3 years and don't overcharge. I think they will have what you need.
    Hope this helps. Take care!

Downloads
    Uploads
    you can find some lower line stuff in that range, but they are heavy and the components arent all that reliable. if you can squeeze out 500 you will find you have a lot more options. go check out the local shops and see what's out there.