How does the UFC fighters and the self concept theory relate?

alabamagoldrush

Dec 9, 2008
Its a homework question, please help! Ultimate Fighting Championship
How does the self concept theory fit in with the fighters? Or the fight itself?

thank you...

MMA fighters train very hard... a lot of the training pushes yourself to your physical and mental limitations, which i would chalk up to awareness of one's capabilities.

Every fighter has a different set of skills which suits themselves best. Some are more talented at grappling, some at striking... this would cover the knowledge of skills and abilities during a fight.

Awareness of physical attributes when fighting can also be very important... if my opponent is 6'4" and i am 5'10" then you better believe i am considering that difference in how i fight my opponent.

I hope these are some helpful thoughts on your question.

Bas Rutten said that when he started fighting he thought it was 20% mental, 80% skill, technique, strength, and cardio. He said that now he believes it is 95% mental and 5% skill. If you don't believe you can win, you will never win.

That is the reason you see some of the younger fighters always trying to hype themselves up. Some might say they are being cocky, but really they are trying to convince themselves that they can win.

Self concept theory, that is basically how you view yourself, right?

If that's the case it has loads to do with fighting. If you've ever been in a fight or watched a fight, you'll notice the person who wins usually has the belief that they will win before the fight even happens. Some people chalk this up to cockiness but really its just that you're a lot better off going into a fight with that mindset. Fighters have to view themselves as winners, or dangerous, or skilled otherwise it will be reflected in the way they fight

If you don't think you are skilled, you won't use that technique that you've been working on because you think you'll muck it up. If you don't think you're dangerous then you won't hurt the other guy enough and then he'll pound on you for not being offensive enough. And most of all if you don't think you can win, as soon as it's looking a little grim for you, you won't have what it takes to finish the job or get out of the tight place that you're in.

Anyway good luck with your paper I hope this helps =)

I guess it fits in with the training where UFC fighters have to improve themselves and sometimes improve their attitudes all in order to improve their skills in fighting.

I can't see where it wuld fit during a fight because thats temporary.

I guess it fits in with the training where UFC fighters have to improve themselves and sometimes improve their attitudes all in order to improve their skills in fighting.

I can't see where it wuld fit during a fight because thats temporary.

Back