Any tips for healthy eating on a budget?

Dec 8, 2008
I am a 23 year old college student and I am looking for some good tips/recipes/ideas for healthy eating on a budget. I love fresh fruits and vegetables... and pretty much anything diet related/healthy.... that's not the problem. My problem is that I can't afford to pay the ridiculously high prices for healthy food! Does anyone have any ideas?
I like the ideas so far but one thing I should definaely qualify is that I live in maine... so this time of year the farmer's market is not an option... sadly.

steal food.

haha no just kidding.

i know what you mean though, cause im vegan and my groceries are sooo expensive. ugh.

theres nothing i can think of except pay the high prices, or ask people to get you gift cards to the grocery store. haha

you're right, healthy food does seem to be a lot more expensive. financially speaking, there are advantages and disadvantages of eating healthy.. the biggest advantage is that you don't overeat.. overeating is unhealthy, so by buying smaller portions you are being healthy and saving money.. the disadvantage of eating healthy is that fresh fruits and vegetables are usually more expensive than junk food.. and another problem is that it doesn't keep so if you don't eat it right away, you end up throwing some of it out.. you just need to find the right balance.. figure out what you can afford and eat as healthy as possible.. don't stress out over a little cheap food now and then.. you gotta do what you gotta do..

I feel your pain! Organic is crazy expensive and fresh fruits and veggies alone are very expensive here in Milwaukee. I have tried to shop local and unfortunately it is usually more pricey than pick n save. Try to join the savers clubs at your local grocery stores, these cards allow you to get the sale prices. I personally look in the ads every week and buy my fresh fruits and veggies at the grocery stores in my area depending on the sales. Then I buy my whole grain pastas and cereals at wal mart, they have excellent prices. Aldi also has great prices but be careful because their meat is iffy and the veggies can go bad quickly. Good luck sweety I know it is a pain but very worth it in the long run.

PS prices vary depending on where you live. I live in an area where farmers markets are NOT cheaper, I shopped local for years and cannot afford it any longer.

i'm having the same problem too. right now i'm living off of pb&j sandwiches, apples, bananas, and any yogurt that has a 5 for 4$ sale!

This is an easy one.

The best foods you can stick into your body are: 1) milk 2) eggs 3) whole wheat bread....and pasta noodles are inexpensive and so is rice.

You can buy these things for relatively cheap on a budget and to add protein go to Walmart or Costco and buy the boneless chicken and boneless turkey breast and separate each breast and bag them up and freeze them and take one out each day at dinner time and make a sandwich. Eggs will give you the protein in the morning and the chicken in the afternoon and bread and the pasta noodles give you the carbohydrates.

Just stick with this formula and then learn how many different ways you can cook these items. This is what bodybuilders do with their diet. You'll be surprised how much money you save doing this and at the same time eating correctly.

Well, diet related doesn't necessarily equate healthy.

Best bet, just stick to farmers markets for the majority of your vegetables and other produce. They are hyped up to be expensive but that's an exaggeration at best. The produce at farmers' markets are typically grown loally, so the shipping costs are negligible compared to those from grocery chains. They aren't that expensive. Plus, they aid your local economy, which is of course a good thing.

Eat tons of salad, tomatoes, brocolli, spinache, and if you can stand it, asparagus. All very healthy things. Fruits are a good source of vitamins as well, and can help fend off sickness. Believe it or not, raspberries are a better source of vitamin C than oranges. Depending on where you live, either fruit may be grown closer and thus be less expensive.

Whatever you do. Stop buying ramen, microwavable 'health' meals, and that stuff. Eat out less. Eat in more. You'll learn to cook in the process. A healthy body also needs a healthy mind.

Oh, I forgot this. Even if healthy foods are more expensive, they are only more expensive in the short run, not the long run. Sure, you may get nickled and dimed at the grocery store, but this beats the high medical bills from living an unhealthy lifestyle. The best investment you can make is not in stocks or bonds or real estate, but investments in yourself.

Shop local. Shop at the local smaller grocery stores. They dont have all selection that the big ones have but they do have cheaper prices. Also farmers markets, open air markets and local vendors. They dont have to ship their products and use all the preservatives that the other big companies use. If you shop at places like this you are also helping the little guy which in turn helps your community. And when you do go to the farmers market...talk to the vendors about your question. Some of them are so happy that you are shopping from them and can give you some great advice...trust me. I still remember the man at the farmers market who helped me when I was pregnant.

thats insane, fruit and veges are not more expensive than junk food.. cutting out meat saves a lot of money. not necessarily cutting out, you could cut back for starters. My fav go to meal is just warm pasta mixed with f(uncooked) fresh tomato and spinach with olive oil, salt and pepper and grated parm on top. the heat from the pasta will warm but not cook the veges. easy, simple, quick, healthy and delish!

thats insane, fruit and veges are not more expensive than junk food.. cutting out meat saves a lot of money. not necessarily cutting out, you could cut back for starters. My fav go to meal is just warm pasta mixed with f(uncooked) fresh tomato and spinach with olive oil, salt and pepper and grated parm on top. the heat from the pasta will warm but not cook the veges. easy, simple, quick, healthy and delish!

Back