Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

home theater question. 6 ohm speaker/8 ohm receiver?

I have already bought a receiver and love it. Onkyo TX-SR605. Looking now for speakers. Yamaha NS-555 or 777 interest me and the reviews are great.

Can my receiver handle these. Onkyo rates as a 8 ohm. The speakers rate as a 6 ohm. Are these 2 pieces of equipment compatible? I have read alot about impedence in speakers but these are people with 4ohm speakers. I was just wondering about these specific pieces.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I pretty sure that the 605 is certified for 6 ohm performance. I have the 606 and I know it has 6 ohm performance. So yes, those speakers should work.

Downloads
    Uploads
    There is no such thing as an "8 ohm" receiver.

All receivers can handle 4, 6, 8 ohm speakers.

So you can compare receivers - the BIG NUMBERS printed are usually for 8 ohms, but the manual or details should include power for 6 and 4 ohms as well.

You just have to be careful using speakers closer to zero ohms because this draws more current and causes more heat. So be a bit cautious about cranking the volume and make sure you have LOTS of space around the receiver for venting and you should be fine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The power amplifiers in the receiver output so much power.
    Power is the product of Voltage times Current.
    If you load an amp with lower impedance than it's rated at, for the same voltage that the amp is outputting there will be a higher current. But if you reduce the voltage (by reducing the volume) then the current will be as it is for the rated impedance.
    Summarizing: Limit the Total Power that the amp i handling by not exceeding the volume.
    Of course, if you run loads lower than 4 Ohms, you may be exceeding the max current that the amp's output transistors can handle.
    An additional note:

Speaker impedance varies with frequency. The nominal rated impedance is an average of that within the mid-range frequencies.
    As an illustration go to http://www.churchsoundcheck.com/imp1.html
    It doesn't hurt to learn a bit more about this technical details. It'll help you to make a more intelligent choice.

Downloads
    Uploads

So you can compare receivers - the BIG NUMBERS printed are usually for 8 ohms, but the manual or details should include power for 6 and 4 ohms as well.

You just have to be careful using speakers closer to zero ohms because this draws more current and causes more heat. So be a bit cautious about cranking the volume and make sure you have LOTS of space around the receiver for venting and you should be fine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The power amplifiers in the receiver output so much power.
    Power is the product of Voltage times Current.
    If you load an amp with lower impedance than it's rated at, for the same voltage that the amp is outputting there will be a higher current. But if you reduce the voltage (by reducing the volume) then the current will be as it is for the rated impedance.
    Summarizing: Limit the Total Power that the amp i handling by not exceeding the volume.
    Of course, if you run loads lower than 4 Ohms, you may be exceeding the max current that the amp's output transistors can handle.
    An additional note:
    Speaker impedance varies with frequency. The nominal rated impedance is an average of that within the mid-range frequencies.
    As an illustration go to http://www.churchsoundcheck.com/imp1.html
    It doesn't hurt to learn a bit more about this technical details. It'll help you to make a more intelligent choice.

Downloads
    Uploads