Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

What would should it cost to replace front and back brake lines for a 1997 Buick?

Recently the brake pedal went all the way to the floor. We found a puddle of brake fluid on the pavement and immediately had the car taken to the garage. My mechanic is telling me that he has to replace all the medal brake lines and this is going to cost 0 to 0 is this an unreasonable amount to pay for this job?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Since everyone else seems to miss the obvious...

I will assume you have rusted brake lines from living in the North and I would replace all of them also. The price is rather cheap actually if ALL are being replaced.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Did you first check if your brake fluid is empty? This is another cause.
    Go see another mechanic and ask for second opinion.
    Sometimes the parts are cheaper than the mechanics labor. Some of them charges $80 or more per hour for the labor.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, because the chances of ALL brake lines breaking at the same time is ZERO. If it is leaking in the rear, it is just a wheel cylinder leaking. If it is in the front, it COULD be a brake line (but only one), but probably only where the line is rubber. That part costs around and takes less than an hour labor.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would find another "mechanic". The metal lines last for a lot longer than the age of your car unless they have been damaged by an accident.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Have your mechanic show you the damaged steel metal lines (have the car up on the lift) that he plans on replacing. Steel tubing going bad in less then 11 years is rare unless you live in an area where lots of salt is used when snow is on the roads. Labor in my area is $100 per hour.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Have your mechanic show you the damaged steel metal lines (have the car up on the lift) that he plans on replacing. Steel tubing going bad in less then 11 years is rare unless you live in an area where lots of salt is used when snow is on the roads. Labor in my area is $100 per hour.