Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looking to buy first car (SUV)?

Hi, I'm 16 years old from NY so i will be leasing my first car relatively soon. I am currently interested in the chevy tahoe and the jeep wrangler. I am fixed on getting an SUV because of my lifestyle (I surf almost daily every summer, i wakeboard, skimboard, snowboard in the winter, play football and lacrosse during the school year). i will also be driving other people around to do these activities. i might also need to occasionally tow my 15' boat. i live in a suburban area and most of the driving will be done to/from school, sports, and around town at night. I will not be paying the lease but i will be paying for the gas. Which of the two SUV's are a better choice (Tahoe vs. Wrangler)? i am also open to other ideas if anyone knows any better choices.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would reconsider leasing and purchase instead. I have leased 4 vehicles...all SUVs of one type or another. The best thing on leasing is that you do get a lower monthly payment, there are kickbacks from the dealerships so that money up front looks good. Like they are paying you to lease the car, but not so. At the end of the lease, they will go over the car with a microscope for every little thing they can find wrong and charge you for it. The car has to be in perfect condition in and out. Normal wear and tear as they call it doesn't exist. If you are having a carload of friends going with you places, everything they do will come back on you. Accidents happen...drinks spill, eating in the car, tear in the seats. Watch out for the mileage clause. You are allotted 12K per year. Go over and its 15 cents a mile. That doesn't sound like a lot, but it adds up. If you are travelling anywhere other than the basic, you'll find the mileage more than double after a couple of years. They will charge for excess at the end of the lease. It could be upwards of $500.00. One car I turned in only had 15K miles..we never really drove it. It was almost perfect inside. I turned it in following all their procedures and got a call about 4 months later with Chrysler wanting thousands of dollars of excess wear and tear and mileage fees. Come to find out, the salesmen at the dealership had been driving it around like their personal car until the lease rep from Chrysler showed up at their dealership to take possession of the car. Then they thought they would make me pay for their joy rides. Luckily I had proof of the day I turned it in. So, if you do lease, take photos of the car in and out when you get it, and take photos of the day you turn it in and make sure they are all dated. Especially of the odometer. Again, you are better off purchasing. My lease is up this summer and I am turning my car in and calling it a good lesson learned. I will buy something a year or two old. The book value on my 2006 is less than the $14K Nissan wants when the lease is up if I keep the car. I wouldn't lease again and I recommend you don't either.