'02 Nissan Sentra + curb= Not good?

MeAgain

May 30, 2008
It's not possible to give you even a ballpark estimate because we don't know what you did exactly. But, it would be hard to damage the subframe because there are a number of other much more fragile parts under there that you probably bent or broke. Tie rods, control arms, ball joints, sway bars, wheel spindles, the rims, brake lines, and other parts are very easy to bend or break if you hit the curb hard enough. They will bend or break before the subframe does. You need to get this car up on a lift and have a qualified mechanic inspect all of the parts under the front end of the car. If it's making that much racket and appears at a 90-degree angle, something is severely bent or broken, and I would say the car is not safe to drive. Depending on what you bent or broke, repairs could be in the several hundreds of dollars. Right now is the wrong time to worry about looking like a moron. That time would have been right before you hit the curb.

I hit a curb turning into the drive at work at about 15 mph. Side swiped it pretty bad. Now the wheel is pushed back into the well and at a *slight* angle. The car shimmies pretty badly and the scraping noise is something awful. My mechanic friend says I bent the crap out of my sub frame? A frame? I don't know... Something is sitting at a 90 degree angle that shouldn't be... Can someone help explain this in terms I can understand and give me a ballpark figure on cost? I don't want to look like an idiot at the mechanics and would rather look like a moron anonymously on the internets... Thank you to anyone who answers!
I was turning left and hit the curb on the front passenger side. Might've had the wheel turned all the way left or all the way right, I don't remember because it happened so fast...
No pictures. The uni-frame isn't touched. The wheel is just rubbing and there's a shimmy. It's a stick shift, so the whole thing rattles.
PERFECT! Grah. Just perfect. This is exactly what I need during the holiday season. *sigh* Thanks guys. I appreciate the info. I wish my dad taught me how to do more than change the oil and tire... Then I wouldn't look like a blazing idiot.

Back