deer hunting ???????????

TylerN

Jul 3, 2008
where do i properly shoot a deer first time hunter people right behind the shoulder but wont i hit the guts. some say on the shoulder please help

Depends how good are you? I have practice a lot at the range. For doe the head will put them down right away no pain and no tracking. If it's a buck and or really far away (200yds +) behind the shoulder is where the heart is.

Just a bit behind the shoulder and a bit down. that should line the shot up with the lungs and heart. Even a deer won't go far on a good shot like that. On the shoulder will just get a mobility kill. This is not a tank that a mobility kill is a good thing. You want to kill it quickly and that means not hitting the shoulders directly as that will delay the death.

Right behind the shoulder will do the trick. To get the "guts" you would need to hit alittle farther back.

No, do not ever shoot the Deer in the Shoulder, Neck, or Head, Always aim, and shoot it in the Heart & Lungs.* You have an area 12 inches in diameter in which to do so.* Place your shot 2 to 3 inches towards the rear, just past the outline of the front leg 2 to 3 inches.*

Imagine a 10" circle 1/3 of the way up the deer's body, with the front edge of the circle on the front of the deer's shoulder. Anything in that circle will kill the deer cleanly. The heart lies behind the shoulder, as does the top of the lungs. The rest of the lungs are a bit farther back, so that 10" circle gives you a margin of error.

Some will advocate never shooting through the shoulder because it ruins meat. The truth is that yes, it will ruin some a roast. (I typically have that meat ground, or turned into salami anyway.) The advantages of a shoulder shot are that it will often anchor the deer immediately, so if a follow-up shot is necessary it can be made quickly and humanely. However, it usually is not necessary to follow up after a shoulder shot, because the tops of the lungs are destroyed, and the heart is often severely damaged. Another advantage is that not only does the bullet do severe damage, but bone fragments from the shoulder will spray into the lungs, heart, and will often sever the aorta, causing the deer's blood pressure to drop to zero and the deer to lose consciousness immediately. I always use the shoulder shot, and have never lost a deer. And, BTW, I've shot a boat load of deer.

NEVER shoot a deer in the head or neck. Too many deer are the victims of these kinds of shots. The brain of a deer is pretty small. If you miss the brain and shoot the animal's lower jaw off the animal will run away, you'll never find it, and it will die a slow, excruciatingly painful death. A neck shot that doesn't sever the spine will allow the deer to run - you'll never find it, and it, too, will linger and die a slow death.

Back