Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why people say bad things about american cars 2day?

North American vehicles have been given a bad reputation for no reason. They have had their problems, but at the same time the asian cars did too. I have nothing against the Asian vehicles, but they have had equal problems, and do have a statistically much higher maintenance need and cost than the North American vehicles, and do not have the same ability in endurance, speaking generally.
    A lot of myths have been perpetuated simply because of our love of large vehicles.

The facts are that they are no better, in any way.
    I know some out ther will find fault and quote all sorts of things about them, but the actual facts are that they are no better and cost more, and don't last as long as the north american made vehicles.
    But myths seem to be the guiding light that people follow.

Or maybe that the American cars from the 60's and 70's were and still r better than 2days american cars.(in my opnion)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Most New American made cars come with a mix of work and parts from across the globe,this is seen with IE Ford whom has shares etc with Mazda and Volvo and Nissan whom in turn deal with the others as well as Renault and Toyota.Also there are the rebadged vehicles IE again the Ford Maverick is a Nissan Terrano.The Chevrolet Zafira is a Subaru Traviq
    the list goes on.

But to be fair many people have been let down by many cars and the ones whom have been let down by American cars have drifted else where iam one i owned a good handful of American cars and looked after them but they failed a lot and all had to be towed at one time or another,i thought this was what car ownership was all about ,until between cars my Farther in law gave us his Nissan it had 250k miles on the clock but still ran like new,it was a great car and never let us down and when we sold it it still ran like new,since we have owned loads of Japanese cars and each so far have never let us down and yes they need some work but a lot less and never broke down.
    So my personal experience after owning a handful of both iam going to have these thoughts.
    But again this is my personal experience.

Downloads
    Uploads
    like said, people just repeat what others say without really knowing what's going on.
    However, I've worked on both type cars, I favor import rather than Domestics.
    Import seem to be able to handle more of a beating and more mileage.
    Domestics do seem to be getting better and better.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It isn't for no reason. American cars are known to consume fuel worse than any other country, they are enormous, which also increases the fuel consumption. Asian cars do not need higher maintenance unless you have a rotary cylinder engine, they require less because the block isn't so huge.

I have nothing against American cars though, i love the rawr those bigblocks give, lol.

Downloads
    Uploads
    People just don't have a clue! I've asked several people what kind of gas mileage they think I get with my Town Car in the mountains of East Tennessee. They'll guess 16 -18 mpg. I average over 21. To me, that's not a bad number when you consider the power, safety and comfort of the large, rear wheel drive, Veighted beast. They can have their little tin cans with 1/2 an engine and deal with the timing belts (I'll take the chain any day of the week).

Downloads
    Uploads
    As an engineer,I find people don't know what their looking at when they open a hood so they just repeat what someone else said to pretend to be smart when they don't have a clue.

Junior Member PillsberryDoughBoy's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I really don't know how American cars got a bad rep! My family drives all FORD! People who ride around in foreign cars wonder why our economy is in bad shape. The reason is people are losing their jobs because we buy asian cars.

Downloads
    Uploads
    maybe cause the u.s. can't make anything . the other countries know how to make technology they do all the work. the u.s. sucks for making stuff.