I am 20 years old and I still live with my parents when I am home from school. I really don't like their eating habits (they have been proven bad eating habits due to my parents' obesity). Tonight I came down for dinner, my dad made shrimp, rice, and two sets of vegetables. I took one look at the food. The shrip was coated in butter it was so greasy and shiny. The vegetables were also greasy and shiny. My dad said that he only used pam on the vegetables but they were so greasy, they were dripping in the stuff. He obviously uses too much (i swear the point of the spray is to use just enough so that it doesnt stick to the pan). Anyways, I wouldn't even eat the food before squeezing it in a paper towel to get the grease off it. How can I convince my parents (who have eaten like this for decades) to change their bad habits?

Making my own food just isnt an option. My parents' believe too strongly in the tradition of eating as a family. I don't have a say in this. I would get nagged to death.

I really don't like our system of everyone sitting down and eating family dinner. I much prefer what I do when I'm living with roomates my age. We all prepare are own food and are in control of our own diets. But until I'm moved out I have to live with this family tradition that works for some, but not all.