How can I tell if my mother is a narcissist? Do you know anyone like this?

guitarman

Apr 20, 2008
She acts like a martyr all the time. But how do I know it's just not in my head? Do you know anyone like this? Here are some of the things she does:

1) She calls here friends and tells them what a mess their life is because of her family and she airs our family business to anyone who will listen. She thinks her life compared to her friends is worse than everyone else's (she has actually said this numerous times) and she drinks over it.

2) Whenever anyone is experiencing medical problems or has serious pains of any sort, she gets really mad because it takes attention away from her. She will then tell everyone how bad her current cold is or her backache or whatever. It is like she will compare her physical problems to yours and tell you that you are just imagining it. She'll say something like, "Oh yeah, you think you got it so bad? Lemme tell you about me..." She tells other people that they shouldn't go to the doctor over anything but then when she is experiencing any types of problems, she will see a doctor right away.

3) She always tells everyone how selfish they are and she tells everyone how selfless she is.

4) She is always comparing comparing comparing.

5) She tells me to go to AA (which I do and I haven't drank in three months as of today) yet she continues to drink over everything. Everytime I ask her to go she says, "I'm too busy. My life is probably worse than everyone else's in AA. You guys are the source of my drinking, not me. You guys are my only problem."

I do realize that I should focus on myself. But I just want to know if anyone else out there knows someone like this.

Back