Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Did Lincoln want to start a war?

Lincoln's letter to Gustavus Fox on 1 May, 1861, makes it clear that he was pleased by the result of the firing on Ft Sumter... "You and I both anticipated that the cause of the country would be advanced by making the attempt to provision Ft Sumter, even if it should fail; and it is no small consolation now to feel that our anticipation is justified by the result."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yep. More and more evidence is showing that.

Downloads
    Uploads
    He wanted to preserve the union. He would have left slavery as is if the south would simply not secede. I dont think he wanted a fight. At the same time he did not want to free the slaves. Read Letter to Horace Greeley.

http://showcase.netins.net/web/creative/lincoln/speeches/greeley.htm

If there be those who would not save the Union, unless they could at the same time save slavery, I do not agree with them. If there be those who would not save the Union unless they could at the same time destroy slavery, I do not agree with them. My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Of course, and over money. It initially had nothing to do with freeing slaves. Most wars are about money. But, Lincoln was so angry with the south that he freed to slaves to break the southerners, who depended on slaves to make them money. I think its funny that all the history books praise him for freeing slaves, when in reality he just wanted to break the south.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Of course, and over money. It initially had nothing to do with freeing slaves. Most wars are about money. But, Lincoln was so angry with the south that he freed to slaves to break the southerners, who depended on slaves to make them money. I think its funny that all the history books praise him for freeing slaves, when in reality he just wanted to break the south.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The South wanted to secede. He didn't have much of a choice if he wanted to keep the states united.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lincoln had a few choices here, he could have
    offered to resign if this would bring the nation back together
    he could have let the South go without a fight and possibility work out their differences in the future
    or start the war by sending the ship of supplies and troops into a foreign harbor, knowing it would be fired on by that foreign nation ( the Confederate States of America)
    the South offered to pay for all the military installations and property that was in the Confederacy
    Virgina offered a Peace Conference and the United States Congress REFUSED to talk to them

Downloads
    Uploads
    no.. he wanted to end slavery and injustice..

i'm suprised you cant see this...

you watch fox news by any chance?

Downloads
    Uploads
    You do realize the war was started because southern democrats didn't want to fund the industrial revolution through taxes?

It was never about slavery, although, Lincoln despised slavery.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes he did he was elected not on an anti slavery platform by the way but for his experience as an Indian fighter, and pro federal power as opposed to states rights

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast