Handheld recording devices w/ multiple recording speed options- 2 questions?

eliziam

Oct 15, 2008
1. Does the speed used when recording affect the overall sound quality?
2. Do you have to listen to the message on the same speed setting as it was recorded on? If you don't, does it affect the playback?

For example, I've recorded messages on a phone recorder for my job & have played them back to check them myself before sending them on to the appropriate person at each office (Shop calls to check on the quality of sales calls & then sending them to each individual office for performance reviews). But for some reason, several people have not been able to hear the calls when they play back on their own recorder- they either hear static/'snow', or the sound of the playback is so low they can barely hear the message even if turned all the way up. I'm trying to figure out why I can hear the playbacks fine on my own.

1. The faster the speed, the better the high frequency (less muffled) and the lower the noise & wavering.

2. Yes, playing it faster will make you sound like The Chipmunks & slower will sound deeply pitched and slow.

Not hearing a recorded message may mean that it was recorded on a different track than the standard one your recorder uses. On a normal cassette tape 4 tracks are used: Tracks 1 & 3 - stereo one direction; Tracks 2 & 4 for stereo the reverse direction. The phone recorder may use a non-standard track configuration. If this is true, what is heard may be leakage from an adjacent unused track.

Back