Christians: what's the best argument for your religion?

Sindala

Nov 20, 2008
If you would try to convince an atheist, an agnostic or someone with another religion: what would you feel to be the most convincing to them?

There are no good ones. Perhaps the best of a bad lot is C S Lewis' "Mere Christianity." But the book is seriously flawed, a fundamental premise is the existence of an "absolute morality" -- an idea which he got (without attribution) from Immanual Kant. But:
- The idea is wrong; moral codes vary among civilizations and over time, there is no such thing as an absolute morality.
- Even if there were, there is no demonstrable premise which, combined with this, can lead to a logical conclusion that some sort of god exists.

Other works citable include those by Lee Stroebel ("The Case for Christ", etc.), but these are so defective that I cannot encourage anyone to read them.

I suspect you've heard the best arguments. All are meant to convince the "low hanging fruit" as it were. People already halfway there or people who are moving from one religion to another.

Just like the evolution critics. The arguments are terrible to anyone who has even a basic understanding of it. But they don't intend to convince those people.

I don't argue or try to convince the unwilling. I would invite the person to my church, and if he or she chose to come, I would pray for the Lord to speak into his heart. I am open about being a Christian and I would be available to discuss that anytime. But I don't think anyone was ever converted with arguments, though I could be wrong.

I don't argue about my beliefs. It is not my job to convert people to my beliefs. All I can do in an unbelieving world is encourage and help.
To do more, if not called by God to do so, would be futile.
God is a decision people must make for themselves. When we deny those persons that, it becomes a battle we are not called to fight.
Answer any and all questions put to you, give your opinion when asked, but do not try to impose your position on anyone. If you must do something, get their name, and pray for them.

Every person who's tried to get me to follow their religion has used fear to get me to see where they're coming from.

I'm just not afraid - therefore I don't need organized religion.

Some people do not want to be convinced, and there's absolutely nothing I can do about that.

I believe it, if you don't then that's fine by me
"The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao" - Tao Te Ching
Buddha once said that no one can teach you eternal bliss, no one can tell you what is right. It is up to yourself to open the door.

1. Jesus' coming was prophesied by Daniel 483 years before it happened.
2. Jesus performed miracles while on earth in front of hundreds of people.
3. Jesus said the Jewish Jerusalem Temple would be destroyed and not one stone who were left on top of another.
4. Jesus was crucified and rose from the dead, three days later.
5. The Bible prophesied the word of Jesus would be (1) preached around the world (and it has); (2) that everyone around the world will be able to see the deaths of his two witnesses, now possible with TV; (3) that near the end of days people will turn away from God, which is happening; and (4) the Jews will return to Jerusalem, which happened in 1948 after almost 2000 years of absence.

If the Bible, miracles, prophecies and being raised from the dead in insufficient for you, then so be it.
Godspeed.

Back