why there is no self service at gas stations?

AdfsadfA

Nov 19, 2008
hi
why in NJ/NY,there is no self service at the gas stations..
is that a state rule..
which other states have that policy and what is the reason behind that.

Actually, it's more or less tradition. Not long ago, NJ state Governor suggested offering self-service gas pumps at stations throughout NJ in response to the rising gas prices and the revolt was tremendous. Most of the state emailed and called him telling him he couldn't do so.

So, New Jersey and Oregon remain the only two full service states.

It's been that way in Jersey for more than fifty years. Why? No reason, they just like someone else doing it.

While I read the responses, someone said those who have full service sell more expensive gas. Not true. I live here in the tri-state area, and NJ has the cheapest gas between PA, NY, and NJ.

Those are highly populated areas so that would make them potential high crime areas and since the 70's we figured out a glitch in the system so to speak; just drive off when you get your gas then that makes it free. Duuuuhh! Big city equals big money and they don't want to lose a fraction of it.

I don't know why this is, but it is a law. Oregon has this as well as I found out when passing through and got yelled at for trying to pump my own gas.

Maybe it is a union thing? I have no idea, but it's stupid.

Some places it easy to have someone pump it, then to run after some one stealing it. Next you see them handing out paper towel in the rest rooms.

hmmm, ask your local district folks.....or your state...... cause last i check, that's not a rule.................

Because they make more money from them pumping it. They get to charge more taxes and more for the peoples salary who's pumping it.

Ya know, I live in utah, and I went to NY and NJ not to long ago, i thought it was the weirdest thing when they pumped our gas, cool... but I have no idea why... I guess there are more people out in that area who are unemployed, that doing stupid jobs like that, helps out? I dont know? haha

Ya know, I live in utah, and I went to NY and NJ not to long ago, i thought it was the weirdest thing when they pumped our gas, cool... but I have no idea why... I guess there are more people out in that area who are unemployed, that doing stupid jobs like that, helps out? I dont know? haha

well in the states i was in there is self service texas, miss, la, ala and michigan for sure. i am not sure what you are saying.

One other state has the rule, but I cannot remember which one. Service at gas stations was part of Theodore Roosevelt's civil works project back when he was president. I asked my dad the same question when we were visiting NJ. My dad said that most states had gas stations with an attendant for a while, and after the economy stabilized and the civil works' projects disbanded many started to have self service stations. It creates jobs in a place where jobs are scarce

Back