How to get out of accepting a trip from your mother in law?

MrseHeatherSchabby

Aug 16, 2008
A little background. My mother in law has done some things that are absolutely unforgivable to me. I won't get into detail -- if you want to know that bad, e-mail me. I do not like her, however I DO act civil and even kind towards her for the sake of my husband.

Part of my dislike for her stems from her inability to do something nice for someone without rubbing it in their face, hanging it over their head, and then taking every opportunity possible to tell everyone else about what a nice thing she did.

For Christmas, she was going to get us a voucher at a hotel so we could take a weekend vacation away from home. I am immensely uncomfortable accepting this from her for a few different reasons, one of which being that I know it will get held over our head. Also, I'm just uncomfortable accepting a gift of that magnitude from her, even though they have a lot of money and it would probably be the equivilent of us buying her a scarf money-wise.

My husband managed to get us out of it for Christmas, saying that with his new 2nd job he has to work every weekend for awhile, plus we could really use some new clothes so a gift card somewhere would be great. Then she said "Oh well your anniversary is coming up, so maybe I'll get it then. You can't work every weekend forever!"

Is there any way to get out of accepting this from her without blatently telling her we don't want to accept it? My husband wants to accept it, but he also doesn't want to do anything that makes me uncomfortable so he's 100% on board with saying no. Should I just suck it up and take the trip, knowing I'll be uncomfortable with it, or do you have ideas as to how we could politely turn it down?

well i would feel uncomfortable also ,,you can say that you and your husband want to relive the first time you met and you find that more romantic and secound one is you can tell her that you feel she needs the vacation with friends ,you can also tell her that your doctor says it is wise for you not to travel because of some sickness you can come up to ,,lol other than that i know what you are going throught my mom is doing the same with my husband ,,,,GOOD LUCK

me personally
i would turn it down
i hate when there stick it in ur face that they have helped you etc
blah blah blah
lol
dont take it :)

Back