I noticed yesterday that my 10 year old cat started making weird coughing/choking noises. Not like a hairball where he throws up but he would act like he was trying to hack something up and just couldn't get it out, I also noticed some white discharge from his nose.

I took him to the emergency room last night and they didn't even let me see the doctor because they said it was nothing he just had something he needed to cough up and once he did he would be fine.

I took him home and he stayed in bed with me all night, he got up once to use the litter box and had very nasty smelling diarrhea and continued to make the noise. He didn't do it much today but when I went to pick him up he did it serval times like moving him was uncomfortable. I could hear his stomach making noise from being upset so I know its not "nothing" like the emergency clinic said.

I am taking him and my 10 year old girl to the vet tomorrow because they need there de-wormers and I want my cat to be seen again. I'm thinking maybe it could be a upper respiratory infection but im not sure.

He is my best buddy and i'm really worried about him, so if anyone has had this problem before if you could let me know what it "might" be, I know its not nothing, cats don't gag and cough for no reason.

Thanks!