Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Do your parents accept your partner as one of the family?

I was out with my parents and my (same sex) partner at the weekend and I noticed, not for the first time, that they really do treat her like another daughter. I felt like I was glowing with pride )

Do your parents accept/love your partner like one of the family or does it cause conflict?

Downloads
    Uploads
    My boyfriend was completely rejected by my family when we first got together 18 years ago, over the years he has built their trust up and now they even phone him instead of me sometimes.

No wonder you felt so proud, I would have too.

Downloads
    Uploads
    ooo i wish i had your parents! when i wanted to chat with my mum cuz i was confused about my feelings for my best mate (im a girl - mate was girl) she thru me out. i was 16. i lived with my mates family for a while and we did become a couple, then we both moved miles away from home, didnt have a relationship with my family. As the years went on my family came to terms with it but even though they said they were sorry and that they liked her and accepted us, i never truly believed it. i even had a civil partnership where none of my family were invited. it was very hard.
    unfortunately that relationship ended after 6 great years and now i'm with a man they cant stop saying how wondeful he is and was accepted straight away (which i felt angry about even though he is lovely)
    parents don't know how much damage they can do to their childrens self worth, i'm happy for you that you have such understaning and liberal parents, don't ever take them for granted! x

Downloads
    Uploads
    Conflict at first then they learn to love him. But congrads for you!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have not even introduced my partner to my parents, and I've been with him about a year. My mum is still banging on about what a great person my ex was, and how apparently I don't know when I'm "well off", should never have divorced him, etc, even though we've been apart over 6 years now. I just can't take the hassle of introducing her to anyone else.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think my dad would seriously consider trading me for my fiance. My whole family really does love him, which is great.

However, one of my sisters was in a relationship with a very controlling man and the family hated him. We tried to accept him, both siblings and parents, until it became clear that he was not a healthy person to be in a relationship with. Eventually they broke up, but it was a very painful experience for everyone involved, since we rapidly stopped liking him and she felt very trapped in the middle.

I'm glad your parents love your partner!

Downloads
    Uploads
    My father has but not the rest of the family. Never have and never will which is one of the reasons why I am no longer in contact with them. If I were it would only be for my father's sake but he is living peacefully now up in Heaven and I'm glad he doesn't have to deal with all the bullsh1t that goes on with my family.

Downloads
    Uploads
    they accept her cos they know they raised me well enough to choose someone god for me. all they want is the best for me

Downloads
    Uploads
    i have known my partner for 21 years on and off my mum loves him 2 bits but i have been full time for 7 years and we have a 3 year old son together and he treats my other 3 as his own and a month ago my dad had a go at my daughters ecause they called my partner dad ! as he sed there dad lived elsewhere we have nothing to do with him as he beat me and the kids , i told my dad i can never forgive him as he has pretended to except my son and partner all this time so no my dad has never liked my partner and i dont really care x

Downloads
    Uploads
    well my mum doesn't really accept them as family unless we have been going out for a long long time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast