Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Unregistered
    Even I looked for help on this yet, I couldn't find any. I had to study on my own, but managed to pass with...an 80%. This should be the only time where you don't have to read the book, but next time, you know better.

Stones
    by William Bell

There’s a fine line between a plot whose meticulously wrought structure and thematic symmetries are so artfully orchestrated that they feel organic and essential, and a plot whose design comes across as heavyhanded and neatly pat. Sadly, the latter is the case in William Bell’s latest YA novel, Stones.

In his award-winning novels and picture books, Bell has tackled substantial subjects, as he does once again in Stones. The plot, which pivots on the stoning to death of a black Haitian woman in 19th-century Ontario, explores racism, religious intolerance, and the ongoing debate between scientific reason and spiritual faith.

The novel is narrated by Garnet Havelock, a contemporary teen. Priding himself on being practical-minded, in a class debate he argues that love at first sight is a crock. A new girl in class, Raphaella Skye, passionately defends the power of intuition and insight, declaring that science can’t explain most things that are important. Naturally, in one of the obvious plot twists, Garnet falls head over heels in love at his first sight of Raphaella, a character steeped in New Age mysticism. He needs all of Raphaella’s psychic abilities to help him get to the bottom of his nightmarish visions of a black woman wailing in grief that have been tormenting him since the night a blizzard stranded him in the African Methodist Church. Together they unravel the origins of the haunting, whose history too conveniently thematically parallels the attack on his journalist mother in East Timor by religious fundamentalists and the ostracism of Raphaella for allegedly belonging to a witch’s coven.

While the novel is a suspenseful, absorbing read, the mystery behind the haunting is played out with didactic logic and not nearly enough of the ineffable spirit of a truly haunting ghost story.
    Reviewed by Sherie Posesorski (from the May 2001 issue)

Review of Stones by William Bell | Quill & Quire

Unregistered

your an idiot you dumb fuck smelly liver eating testical sucker

your an idiot you dumb fuck smelly liver eating testical sucker

go fuckin suck a fat one and not lecure people online you cod fish smelling bastard

Unregistered
    To all of you that replied and were rude, you really should have been nicer to this kid. I don't think he or she deserved it. I bet you would feel like shit if you were them.

Unregistered
    So many of you have failed to show human kindness. You're responses disgust me. I would rather fail at English than have your lack of people skills and compassion. While your message may be correct (encouraging the individual to read), you lack the people skills that would correctly relay your message. People skills makes for a better human being than any harsh, however true responses you have given. Everyone needs help once in a while and I can guarantee that you yourself have asked for some at one time.

Shame on you!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123