Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    rheanee

ATT: HOMOSEXUALS: Why am I considered homophobic??

I am a teenaged girl and I know alot of gay people and I interact with them daily. We talk and have fun and I treat them as humans because they are people just like me. However, I am also a Christian and I firmly believe that homosexuality is a sin against God. Even though i don't support their homosexual behaviour, they understand that my opinion is different than theirs. We still have good relationships despite this because I love all humans, no matter who they are. But why do some select people, in particular gays, say i am homophobic? I think that is unfair. Rosie Odonell makes jokes about Christianity and no one says anything...but when Christians speak out on the sin of homosexuality suddenly we're the bad guys. Believe me, i have nothing against gays, but i just want to know what you think and WHY i am considered homophobic.

funkyalmond2003
    Dont worry. You are not homophobic at all. There is a strong anti-god movement in this country, and you are not wrong. The judgemental people are. Do not feel insecure because of your faith, be proud.

Britneyrox100
    Well I don't live for God or the Christians, so my question is why do you care if people are gay? Seriously, don't waste your time making a big deal about something that shouldn't matter.

Wayne
    Hello reheanne

The "sin of homosexuality?" by Christindom has been misconstrued from the orginial teaching in the Bible about activities that were prevailant in the early history of the Isrealites.

The primary focus of the condemnation in the Bible was the vile debauchry of orgies etc. that was involved in worship of other gods and godess's. In the early church this was reinterperted against homosexuality *even though* the church knew that homosexuality was part of the norm of daily life of some people. Writings in the Catholic encyclopedia admit that very fact.

Today rather than teach the love that Jesus taught the Christian faiths preach HATE and intolerence and are not following those teachings of Jesus.

Jesus plainly stated "you will know my people by the love they show for one another" and by spreading that love by following the golden rule "do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

May I suggest that you reassess your feelings of persicutions and focus on the problem at had -- namely making it very clear that you care for the people around you not because of their homosexuality but inspite of it.

Zachary S
    Homophobia (from Greek: ὁμο homo(sexual), "same, equal" + φοβία (phobia), "fear") is a non-clinical term[3] used to describe the fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals.[4] It can also mean hatred, hostility, disapproval of, or prejudice towards homosexuals, or homosexual behavior or cultures.

liddia126
    because they dont know the meaning of homophobia. Anyone who doesent agree/accept their lifestyle automaticly becomes homophobic (pathological fear of homosexuals); and yes, we're the closed-minded idiots.

Justin
    There is a difference between tolerance and acceptance. You are a tolerant frined, but you still hold on to your beliefs. Thats okay.

Just like the extreme right, the left has it's share of exremeists. What can you do but just pray for people to respect each other.

I consider myself a Christian, but I believe that God made me this way and I should accept and be proud of that. You believe something different. If you and your gay friends can put that aside, then good for you.

I personnally don't think I could be best friends with someone who thought that I was immoral because of who I like, but thats me.

Garrett C
    As long as you can keep that opinion seperate from the friendship and not bring it up, then I don't see it as homophobic. In my opinion it isn't very open-minded, but I can at least respect your beliefs.

People say stuff about Rosie all the time though lol She is portrayed pretty harshly by Christians and other people sometimes too, I assure you.

So I don't think you're homophobic, but I also don't know how vocal you are about your beliefs, so I can't assess everything.