Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

How to start competing in MMA? ?

I been training Brazilian Jiu-jitsu , and I've won 3 first place medals in grappling competitions in the beginner skill levels. I have very little training in stand up but I want to compete in MMA . I'm turning 18 on 11/11 , and I want to know if theres a smart way to start competing so I don't go in and get my ass kicked. Thanks !

yeah that is a good point about Royce . But do you guys think that a skilled grappler can do well in mma without stand up skills? I already train jiujitsu everyday so I don't have the time or money to go somewhere to learn strikes...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've seen gyms advertise in my area, Wash. DC., that specialize in MMA. Try to find one of those in your area.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Be confident and don't back down or flinch. I have seen many guys hesitate out of fear and that is a quick defeat. If you can take a punch you should be alright. Royce Gracie was able to defeat all sorts of cats because he could take a punch.

Downloads
    Uploads
    you can build further on your grappling success by taking wrestling at your high school. remember this, if your close enough to punch or get punched then your close enough to get taken down.

but I would not ignore the importance of striking. the fight starts on the feet and what if you can't take the guy down? what if he has stellar take down defense?

if you cant afford money part im sure you can find a friend that knows how to strike and that has taken some sort of striking art (boxing, muay thai, etc..)

Downloads
    Uploads
    7 years ago i would say go for it. but now With the competition you need stand up. if this is what you want say good bye to your bjj school and find a local mma gym.your school will understand at my gym i do a grappling or a bjj class then a kick boxing class and end With a mma sparing class every night.a good mma gym will have qualified bjj instructors .