2002 Subaru WRX won't pass inspection because of check engine light?

jsnowsk842

Nov 5, 2008
I'm trying to buy a 2002 Subaru WRX off of a guy but he refuses to sell it to me until he can get an inspection sticker on it but it won't pass inspection because the check engine light is on and when they plug it into the computer it puts out a misfire code. His mechanic has been working on the car for weeks now and has been consulting with other mechanic's and supposedly even contacted Subaru about the issue but they just can't seem to find the problem. They have already installed new spark plugs, a new mass air flow sensor, a new timing belt, and have cleaned out the fuel injectors but the check engine light continues to come back on. Every time they finish fixing something they reset the ECU but after 30 or so miles the light comes right back on. Anybody out there have any idea of what the problem could be? I have read forums all over the internet but have found nothing pertaining specifically to my problem. Can anyone help?! =(

why on earth would you want to buy this knowing it's history? Are there no other cars avail in your area?

I would check the valve guides, some of the Subaru's have a problem where the exhaust valve guide slips out of the head and causes the valve to hang up, a lot of times you can not even feel the misfire because its at higher RPMS....but the computer can tell. To check the guides you need to pull off the exhaust manifolds (easy its six bolts) and look up at the back sides of the exhaust valves....you should be able to see about a 1/4 inch of the guide for each valve, compair all the guides to each other and one will probably be sticking out so you can see much more of the guide....if it is, there is your problem. Good luck!

Back