Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

What is Blu-ray? How's it different from regular DVDs?

Darn, I must be behind during these times. I see things like HD vs Blu-ray on some of my favorite sites. Apparently Blu-ray won. I see Blu-ray movies in stores and Playstation 3s, offering Blu-ray. People scream on forums how awesome Blu-ray is. I want to catch up on times and ask this question: What is Blu-ray? How is it different from regular DVDs?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Simple answer is that BluRay is HD video and offers compressed 5.1 sound and un-compressed sound.

Standard def DVD's contain video that is backwards compatible to the 1940's televisions.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A Blu-Ray Disc is simply a optical disc like DVDs & CDs and such,but this allows for viewing of high-definition video (1080p at most),production of up to 7.1 surround sound audio.That is if you use it to (most likely) watch a movie on your BD player or play a game on your PS3.However,if you want to use it as a backup for your stuff stored on your PC,it can store much more space than that of a DVD.It stores 25GB on one single-sided disc,but 50GB when double-sided.

To answer your question about the difference between Blu-Ray Discs and DVDs,the BD can show movies in Full HD 1080p unlike DVDs,which can only go as far as 480p,a resolution made for standard-definition televisions.It also can produce more sound.Again,Blu-Ray can give a home theater system 7.1 surround sound audio at most whereas a DVD's highest is only 5.1 surround sound.Then,it has more storage (for when you want to store stuff from your computer on it) than both the single-sided & double-sided DVDs.

I have not experienced Blu-Ray Disc,but from my perspective,i guarantee you that you will love it!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    A Blu-Ray Disc is simply a optical disc like DVDs & CDs and such,but this allows for viewing of high-definition video (1080p at most),production of up to 7.1 surround sound audio.That is if you use it to (most likely) watch a movie on your BD player or play a game on your PS3.However,if you want to use it as a backup for your stuff stored on your PC,it can store much more space than that of a DVD.It stores 25GB on one single-sided disc,but 50GB when double-sided.

To answer your question about the difference between Blu-Ray Discs and DVDs,the BD can show movies in Full HD 1080p unlike DVDs,which can only go as far as 480p,a resolution made for standard-definition televisions.It also can produce more sound.Again,Blu-Ray can give a home theater system 7.1 surround sound audio at most whereas a DVD's highest is only 5.1 surround sound.Then,it has more storage (for when you want to store stuff from your computer on it) than both the single-sided & double-sided DVDs.

I have not experienced Blu-Ray Disc,but from my perspective,i guarantee you that you will love it!!!