Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

what is that hard icing called, its usually used on wedding cakes?

im making a cake for my brothers birthday and i want to use this hard sort of icing. its not a spreadable icing rather like one you mould over the cake... and does anyone also know the recipie?

help is much appreciated!

Downloads
    Uploads
    marzipan?

Unregistered
    Marzipan

• Marzipan is made primarily from ground almonds and sugar. Although similar to almond paste, it has a higher sugar content. It is naturally cream colored.

Fondant

• Fondant is made with sugar, water and a stabilizer such as gelatin or cream of tartar. It is cooked to the soft ball stage in candy processing, then kneaded to a smooth and pliable consistency. Initially white, it is often tinted with food coloring for various decorating purposes.

Uses

• Both marzipan and fondant are easily shaped and rolled, so both are used to create three-dimensional cake decorations. However, fondant is frequently used in place of icing to completely drape a cake with a smooth shell. Lisa Smith, owner of Ann's Cake Pan in Horsham, Pennsylvania, uses fondant to create ribbons, flowers and unique decorations for her cakes because the mild flavor complements the cake. Because of the intense almond flavor of marzipan, it is eaten most often as a candy. Especially popular in Europe, it is molded into decorative fruit, animals or people and colorfully painted.

Read more : What Is the Difference Between Marzipan & Fondant? | eHow