Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

question about Coyote hunting?

I want to get into Coyote hunting and I would like to use a rifle instead of my .20 gauge. since i live in a relatively urban area and will be hunting in corn fields with some surrounding woods and scrub i would like a relatively low caliber rifle. can you hunt coyote with a .22 long rifle? or do you need something bigger? because of my stipulations i think a lever action in .357 mag would be a good option.

can someone recommend a good coyote rifle for me based on my needs?

Downloads
    Uploads
    people hunt coyotes with anything from .22lr to .30 cals.
    persoannly i'd think a .22lr is too small and
    your bottom line would be .22WMR
    which has a low report and wont scare the neighbours, otherwise the smaller .20 calibres, .223 is ideal. .204, .22-250 will all do. i exlude .222 because i dont like them, .270 and .284 are too highpowered.
    i dont know if silencers are legal in your area, but the 223, 204 and 22-250 can all be silenced quite well. you mention fairly short-range calibres so maybe you would do better with a .300 whisper (wildcat) or as you say .357 (is magnum really neccessary?) . there are some production 9mm rifles which should also suit your purpose, comes down to preference and shooting ability...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Coyote Hunting Rifles
    When searching for a weapon there are a couple of questions you should answer yourself. One of them is : How accurate does a rifle need to be ? Every weapon ( rifles more specific ) should shoot with such precision that its user may be sure that a simple miss is his own fault and not the weapon’s. This means that it should drive its bullets as close to the desired target as an expert rifleman can hold, under normal conditions. Such a man would not be pleased with a rifle unless it could be relied upon to group nearly all its shots in or on a one inch circle at 50 yards, or two minute of angle. At this state of accuracy, hitting the vitals spots of a coyote is possible out to 300 yards or more.

Another vital question is : How will I shoot with my weapon accurately ? First of all, a hunter needs to practice with his firearm regularly because by doing this they become familiar with their action, firearm and also they will gain confidence. Another thing a hunter should do is to try different loads in the firearm because all firearms have a preference for one load or another so in order to find the most accurate one, a hunter must try many kinds. Also, one must keep his weapon clean and well lubricated, bore fouling if excessive can really affect accuracy.

When it comes down to purchasing a second hand gun there are a few things every hunter should be aware of. First of all, choosing the type of action, this depends on the area and the style of every hunter. Bolt actions are very accurate, they can handle a wide range of calibers and pressure levels and most importantly, are available in a wide range of styles. Single shot guns come at an affordable price, they are reliable and also they are available in a wide range of calibers. Second of all, choosing a caliber is a very important aspect that every hunter should take in consideration. Hunters should choose one that offers enough power to the game their hunting ( in this case, coyote ) at the range that they will be shooting.

Also, a hunter should choose a cartridge that they can shoot with well, hold control and offer enough power. Last but most importantly, the matter of warranty should not be neglected. When buying a used rifle, check and see if the person which sells you the weapon will give you a couple of days to try the rifle. Usually if we are talking about a dealer, he/she will offer a short trial period ( between 7 and 10 days ) for the potential buyer to try the rifle and make their decision.

In the matter of rifles used for coyote hunting, popular calibers include the fast 22’s starting with the 222, anything smaller, like the hornet or rim fire and you risk wounding the animal or severely limiting your effective range. Many hunters hunt coyote with their deer rifle, if you are only hunting coyote for the purpose of getting some off season practice this will work just fine. However, if you are hunting coyote to sell the pelts, a 30/06 will pretty much ruin the hide.

If you aren’t a rifle fan, maybe a shotgun will do the trick. A shotgun with #4 or smaller buckshot is a very effective and accurate close range coyote gun. If the area where you do your hunt is relatively thick and shots are going to be under 40 yards, a shotgun with the right load may well be the perfect firearm for this situation. In more open areas the use of a shotgun will really test the hunters skill, as coyotes will need to be called closer in order to have a successful shot.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Your best choices are 22 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222, or 22-250, 22 Magnum.*

Downloads
    Uploads
    .22 LR would be good enough for most coyotes, but yeah, i'd go with the .357, just in case.

Downloads
    Uploads
    how does it feel to kill a defenseless creature....

Downloads
    Uploads
    how does it feel to kill a defenseless creature....

Downloads
    Uploads
    oh my god, leave the poor coyotes alone!

Downloads
    Uploads
    A lever action 22 Magnum or the new Ruger .10/22 in 22 magnum (new this year) check www.gunbroker.com, several up for auction.

Downloads
    Uploads
    oh my god, leave the poor coyotes alone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast