Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just bought my first car; a 1.3 l Hyundai Accent; can I replace the...

...engine myself with a better one or would? I have to take it to a garage?

Downloads
    Uploads
    This would be much more trouble and expense than it would be worth.

The days of the easy engine swaps are long gone. EPA regulations and computer controlled engines make engine swaps much more difficult.

First, you would need to find another Hyundai engine that would physically fit your engine compartment. You would need another 4 cylinder because your wiring harnes and computer would not operate a V6. You would then hope that all of the sensors and emissions controls match your under hood wiring harness. You would then hope that your engine management computer will run your new engine.

I would not recommend an engine swap to anyone who is not an experienced mechanic. You would need a garage with a lift and an engine hoist. You will most likely require a certain amount of special tools.

If your location requires emissions testing to register the vehicle, you will have a very difficult time getting this combination to pass emissions. It would suck to spend $2000+ in modifications to a car that you can not use.

If you hire a mechanic to do this, expect to pay at least $1000 just for the labor. This is because the mechanic is going to require extra time to make this engine work. The mechanic will charge you by the hour for labor, and the more time it takes to make the new engine work, the more it will cost. The new engine will also cost you at least another $1000 for a used motor. You will only be swapping a 4 cylinder for another 4 cylinder. A lot of expense for only marginal performance gains.

If you are really dissatisfied with the performance of this car, sell it. Take the money from the sale plus the $2000 you were going to put into the engine swap and buy something with a larger motor.

Downloads
    Uploads
    But the Haynes workshop manual for the car and get some help from a mechanically minded friend. For the cost of perhaps having to buy some tools, DIY

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sell it and buy a larger engine model

Downloads
    Uploads
    do you have any experience at all? what kid of engine do you need a different trans to make it work right? its hard if you have no idea what your doing i went to school to be a mechanic and its still hard to get it all right... just buy a diffrent car.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It is a very difficult job and don't forget that the rest of the car needs to be upgraded as well. The brakes need to be more efficient, gearbox and transmission changed to a stronger one. So the whole thing is just not worth the effort. Cheaper to change your car.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Forget it, false economy, buy a car with a bigger engine.Replacing an engine requires a lot of mechanical skill.

Downloads
    Uploads
    harder than what u expect.