Is satellite coaxial cable better than ordinary copper coaxial cable for a tv

randomnomenclature

Apr 26, 2008
signal ? Up at the local hardware shop today. I was looking to buy a coaxial cable to run a tv card on my pc. I bought regular coaxial . The signal is better on the pc using the tv cable but my pc is for the next room . The satellite coaxial is more expensive , i'm wondering if i would get better reception using that.
Using the cable i bought today on the tv , there is definitely a loss of quality in comparison to how it usually is.
Its a 10 metre cable

I'm not sure exactly what "satellite coax" is. The two common varieties of caox are RG-59 and RG-6. RG-6 is the better of the two. It's a significantly thicker cable. The best variety of RG-6 is quad shield.

If you are only making short runs, say under 20 feet, I doubt you'd see a difference. The differences are more likely to show up on long runs like 75 to 100 feet or more.

If your signal source is from satellite or cable TV, then it's likely pretty strong, and the difference in attenuation between different cable types shouldn't be noticeable.

The connectors are likely to be more important than the cable type.

Satellite cable is designed to have lower loss than the cable used for normal TV downleads.
At around 1000MHz (1GHz), normal coax will lose about 27dB per 100 metres whilst satellite coax will lose only 21dB per 100 metres.

For your particular application, for just a patch to the next room, it ain't going to make much difference.

No, coaxial cable is designed for impedance matching.
You have to use the type which is designed for your device.

I just bought a house that had a Dish Network receiver. I am not interested in satellite TV but would like to hook up an antennae for off air broadcasts. The signal is not getting through the coax to my TV. I did find that there must have been some kind of connection in the basement where the coax cables connected to something. What is missing? How do I make the whole house coax cabling work for off the air TV reception?

Back