Spoilers and Wings on FWD Cars?

NicholasFarnham

Sep 19, 2008
Ok, I have seen alot of this, and what is the point? Doesnt it just push the rear end down, therefore raising the front?

The reason I asked is b/c I saw a nice Ford Focus Hatchback, and the wing style was something I had seen on the Focus track cars, it came back off right below the rear window and went up, and then about 2 inches above the roof is where the wing was, not just like the ones that just go on top of the rear hatch. It looked pretty nice, but the reason behind it was?

Sorry, I am just trying to find out the facts here, sure they may look good, but what are they doing for your car?
This question isn't about Rear Wheel Drive cars. It is directed toward the Front Wheel Drive Hondas, acuras, and so forth with huge wings, and spoilers and other ricey looks.

the best thing that these wings can offer is lateral stability. As a car is moving along usually wings made for track use will have the ability to stabilize the car from swaying side to side, not only downforce. Improving the overall flow of air over any car is an improvement. At highway speeds you see minimal effect and really need to hit track speeds to notice a major difference(100+mph)

fwd cars need the rear wing to push down on the rear wheels at high speeds and distribute weight ,you see the front has the majority of the weight with the engine and trans sitting right over top of them the rear has nothing so at high speed on curves tend to drift to the outside losing traction and control the wing puts downward force on the the rear wheels, the car still drifts but regains traction and control hence drift competitions ,most street machines don't need the huge adjustable wings since there not racing on banked curves .

Back