Whats wrong with my car it isn't moving when i step on the gas?

TainaA

Oct 23, 2008
I have a 1996 Chevy Lumina. It starts, but when i shift gears like in reverse or drive its barely moving. I tried to push on the gas, but still nothing. Help.

not good. new trannys run for $1500+.
try putting it all the way back in first or low gear. see if that works. idk y but in my buddies firebird it would slip in ddrive, but not in first/low gear. cost him 1400 bucks to get it rebuilt.

make sure to check ur automatic transmission fluid level. put it in park n let ur car run for nout 5 mins. check the level. also look to see wat color it is. its supposed to be red. if its kinda brown and smells bad ur burning up ur tranny.

good luck to ya man

if your engine revving and car isnt moving try checking the transmission fluid. the fluid being very low can cause your car not to move.

check your tranny fluid it might be low or your tranny is out .the dip stick for the tranny should be red check with motor running not in gear

It could be a transmission problem, that's bad and expensive.

There are other possibilities, like ignition or fuel delivery problems but have it checked immediately by a mechanic that you trust. Best case is you are low on tranny fluid.

If the transmission is bad be careful not to spend more on the repair then the car is worth.

Back