Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    GrimaceGuy

Why is my Samsung LNR408D LCD TV volume stuck?

I bought a Samsung LNR408D a couple years back but as of this last September, have had intermittent problems with the volume buttons on the right-side panel of the TV. It starts out with the <volume down> being stuck, causing the volume menu to always appear showing a 0. This is tolerable because I use a receiver for audio and it's just an annoyance. The button is not actually being pressed, and when I manually press it, the TV shows a "This cannot be done in the current mode" error in HDMI mode, and causes a chanel change in Air TV mode. After a day, the <volume up> button gets stuck, making the TV completely useless, as the volume goes directly to max.
    In the past, I've fixed this by shaking the TV around and flipping it over a few dozen times, and eventually it goes away.
    I'm guessing the cause is a piece of dust or something getting stuck in the PC unit or something, which is why my shaking it 'fixes' it.
    Does anyone have a clue as to a real solution?

Yes, I brought it to an electronics store, but the fact that I put it in my car to move it there solved the problem, so I just wound up wasting $78 plus tax for them saying nothing was wrong.

Broadcast Engineer
    I defer to TV Tech Man's answer, after all he fixes these things for a living. But my guess is you are right the buttons may be stuck. But it could also be a bad integrated circuit that is intermittent or bad power supply voltage to that circuit caused by a dried up capacitor or a crack in a circuit board.

Take it to a TV Tech and get an estimate because it is probably worth fixing and not that expensive compared to a new set.

Broadcast Engineer
    I defer to TV Tech Man's answer, after all he fixes these things for a living. But my guess is you are right the buttons may be stuck. But it could also be a bad integrated circuit that is intermittent or bad power supply voltage to that circuit caused by a dried up capacitor or a crack in a circuit board.

Take it to a TV Tech and get an estimate because it is probably worth fixing and not that expensive compared to a new set.